Hey guys

Discussion in 'New Members' started by MistaOrange, 27 Mar 2010.

1. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Howzit I'm a newbie to this site as a member but have read many articles which have helped me many times & have a bit of a problem with a two fish with a seriously bad attitude & on a killing rampage. Well both the coris formosa & hawkfish have teamed up & I think they hate it when I put a new tank mate in because two days later I can't find the new fish as they end up being hermit chow. I had them when I started my 1st saltwater tank & now they are getting too much & costing me a fortune. I was stupid not to do some research on the two fish before I bought them, but I have been checking the compatibility with the other fish to add to my aquarium & even though they were compatible these two would torment the poor fish after lights out. I've tried to catch them but they are too quick & coris dives into the sand between the rocks & I've even made a diy fish trap which they ignore but the poor scooter mandarin keeps on falling for it. The only option I can think of is to empty out the tank to catch them but I don't want to stress any of the fish out & end up loosing them. If anyone can suggest something else to catch then, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanx & Peace Be Thy Journey

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!!! The best would be to see where they sleep at night. Late night when they are asleep you go in with a torch and a net and catch them while they are still drowsy.

4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange Thread Starter

Hey thanx Annoying I never thought of that. I honestly think that I should take my rock out because the coris formosa digs himself right under them. I'll give it a try tonight well this afternoon because the coris berries himself @ aprox. 5pm everyday even if I keep the lights on.
    Thanx for the suggestion Annoying
    Happy Reefing & Peace Be Thy Journey

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glads you joined. Sorry about all the losses, hope you come right in catching them :)

6. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome :thumbup:

7. schaun

schaun

Hi man . Welcome.
    Lots of crazy love marine people here.
    Just know you will love it here !

8. MistaOrange

Thanx Tobes, Clinton & schaun. No success yet but will keep on trying, I really don't want to disturb the tank but if I can't catch them by thursday I will have to remove the rocks to get them. Thanx again guys
    Peace Be Thy Journey

9. Viper

Viper

Welcome to MASA !

10. lIghty

lIghty

Welcome

11. MistaOrange

Thanx Viper

12. MistaOrange

Thanx lIghty

13. MistaOrange

Update haven't had a chance to catch the little guys but have decided to pull out the rocks & try again, at the same time it gives me a chance to inspect the rocks for aptasia & to clean them. Lol sometimes I take a burner & burn the living hell out of the apasia but sadly it takes the rock a long while to recover. I now use aptasia x not as fun as burning them but it works.

14. seank

seank

Welcome to our beloved, friendly Forum

15. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

16. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome to MASA

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, MisterOrange! Great to have you on-board!

Eish - Ja.! Those Coris wrasses are really beautiful when they young, but very soon they turn into REAL trouble makers!

How about posting some pics of your tank for us, please?

18. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa :)

19. MistaOrange

Thanx sean, jaak, frans jacques & crispin. Ja the coris is stunning, they were my first fish I bought which was a stupid thing to do as I never did any research before I got them. I find it strange thou that the coris & the hawkfish teamed up to be the bullies, the hawk would terrorize the new fish & scare the little thing & then the coris will come in for the kill to feed the hermits. It's sad how aggressive some of the most beautiful fish can be. Ok update I have now taken the rocks & have the hawkfish in the sump & just have to be up bright & early to catch the coris. lol maybe I should have taken the sand out too. As for the pics Jacques I do have some pics & clips O the tanks but on my phone so the quality is not going to be great as I don't have a camera but will try to post then up soon k, I know how you guys are over pics. Thanx again to all for the warm welcome Peace Be Thy Journey. lol. or Reefkeeping

20. MistaOrange

Whooooo Hooooo I caught the little buggers. What a mission I had to haul out all of the liverock & base rock then had a run around with the hawkfish & caught him. Poor hermits got stirred up when I was searching for the coris formosa but I found him then scooped up him with a lot of the sand & had to shake the net to get the sand out. Right now all that's left in the tank is the sand, cardinal, batfish, hermits, snails & starfish. So while the rock is out I might as well clean the sand out or should put the critters & fish in a bucket first?

21. MistaOrange

Can someone lease tell me if they have had a aquarium shop keeper tell you to actually use a hook & line to catch a fish in your aquarium? I can't tell a fish that the hook is not for him it's for the other one the bully!!!!! lol I almost pissed myself when this told me to do that on thursday. Would any of you do this?

Recent Posts