Hey Guys/Gals

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Habanero, 20 Dec 2012.

1. Habanero

Habanero

Hello Guys/Gals

I am an total newb when it comes to the hobby and like always I dived in head first without the required know how.
    I am currently sitting with an 1.2 x 48 x 48 display tank connected to my sump that is 1.2 x 38 x 40.
    I wish I found this forum a few weeks ago when I started to build my stand and assembling my tank and sump it would have been awesome to get some input from knowledgeable people.
    Anyway I went ahead like most newbies with no knowledge would and I added an few fish namely:

Fish
    3 x Tomato Clowns
    2 x Fire Clowns
    4 x Royal Grammas

Clean Up Crew
    2 x Fire Shrimp
    2 x Cleaner shrimp
    2 x Cammel shrimp
    5 x Turbo Snails
    5 x Snails( cant remember their name they are white and are always under the sand )
    2 x tiger sea cuccumber
    2 x yellow/Golden sea cuccumber
    1 x starfish

So now i am basically waiting for most of them to drop dead as my tank cycles.
    I have alot of LR in my tank most in my sump but i have an few pieces in the top aswell.I am hoping to do an full reef system but i still have an long time to go before i am anywhere near ready.
    I am going to upload an few pics by tomorrow so you guys can share your tips and tricks and maybe help improve my system.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

hi and welcome to MASA.
    yes you have started a bit to fast. luckily clowns are normally very hardy fish but they will get a bit of stress. get some special blend and stability and maybe some Seachem Prime to help out with the cycle process.

good luck with the new Hobby:thumbup:

4. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Hi Habanero and welcome to the forum.
    Sad reality in the trade, but let us not harp on that. There is a good chance that you don't have to lose any stock.
    There are however a plethora of questions that need to be answered to improve your chances of success and of course pictures would help...

The biggest influence on the cycle would be your filtration, so let us start there.

Please explain your filtration setup.

When you say a lot of live rock, exactly how much and where was it bought?

Are you running a skimmer, if yes, what type?

Is there any substrate in the tank or in the sump, please provide details on type, depth, etc.

Immediately when seeing your stocking list every alarm bell in my head went off at those sea cucumbers. They are deadly if stressed or if they die, but extremely helpfull if they are kept alive in a suitable environment. If possible, take them back to the shop you bought them from. Even if they refuse to credit you, its still a better option than having them wie out your whole tank.... YES, they do that..
    To avoid heartache and a huge waste of cash, I would advise the folowing immediate action:

Get to your nearest LFS and buy some Seachem Stability. Get to either @Perky pets superstore in Bergvliet and get some ORCA nitra guard biocubes, 500ml should suffice. Alternatively, contact David at Perky Pets and find out how fast he can get some to one of the branches closer to you. Their number is 021 712 8270.

Once you have the Seachem Stability, dose daily according to instructions. I would also advise a carbon source dosing regime as follows:

Day 1 - 5, add 0.1 ml of vodka
    Day 6 - 8 ad 0.2ml of vodka
    Day 9 - 14 add 0.3 ml
    Day 14 to 18 add 0.2ml

All the while still dosing daily stability.

Thereafter, the biocubes will be doing their job and remove nutrients.

5. Habanero

Habanero Thread Starter

Thanks I am going to need all the luck I can get. I will go to my LFS after work and pick up those items I just hope he has them, not really an reliable shop:(

6. irie ivan

Definitely not reliable if he sold you the livestock you currently have, but let us not digress.

Are you usung Natural seawater or making from salt mix?

How much flw do you have in the tank? What pumps are you using?

7. the fish

the fish

@Habanero. i dose those 3 things on a weekly basis. as you do water changes every week. except for the special blend. there on the bottle you will see the dosage on the back. The Seachem Prime will help with nitrate brakedown. just 1 tip i can give is to use it together with stability. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. irie ivan

Good advice there from the fish. Prime is cheap but together with stability and a drop of vodka, could assist you in a big way!

9. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Apart from what Irie Ivan has suggested above also consider the following:

The two species of clowns may not be compatible - they may even fight amongst themselves (i.e. same species). It is generally recommended to only keep one species of clownfish in a tank.

Royal grammas are also very territorial towards their own kind - unless you have a very large tank with lot's of rockwork, it is advisable to only keep one of these.

Sea cucumbers eat "waste" in the sand - your tank is not mature or large enough to support so many - take them back and only consider getting one in 6 months time or so (if you still want one by then).

10. Habanero

Habanero Thread Starter

Hey irie ivan

Ok lets start with my Sump the water first goes trough an filter sock and enters the first compartment in the first compartment I have an protein skimmer its an Jebo hob one that I am going to replace as soon as possible and then obv my heaters then in the second compartment I have an seachem product i cannot remember the name of (it is small little white balls) the third compartment houses my carbon then in the fourth compartment the rest of the sump i have the LR and my return pump.

As for where the LR is from I have no idea I got it for free from an guy that sold his setup (BTW the live rock is more Aptasia than rock) in total i think it is roughly 15 to 20Kgs of rock.

In the main tank i have got live sand about an 2cm deep bed of it.

I am going to give the Cucumbers to my LFS for safe keeping until i get everything right.

Thanks allot for the help and please bare with me as I don't always know how to answer your questions as i really don't know anything.

11. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Welcome!

12. Habanero

Habanero Thread Starter

I made my own water mix with RO water , It looks like i have an bit of an situation on my hands with my tank and the stock i got... Guess i am returning most of my stock tonight.

13. the fish

the fish

try getting some aptasiaX to get rid of that. i would have suggested a ppermint shrimp but you dont want them in the sump lol

14. irie ivan

No problem, we are here to help. The little white balls is likely seachem phosguard, which should be in a reactor, likewise for the carbon.
    Regarding the aiptasia, its another headache all together.
    That skimmer is wholly insufficient.

When you say live sand, please elaborate. Are you referring to live sand as it came from another tank or did you buy what is sold as live sand in bags?

15. Habanero

Habanero Thread Starter

I just read about DSB in the sump would you guys say it would be better to take the LR out of the sump and go with an DSB?

16. irie ivan

If you can aford to buy live sand in sufficient quantities (caribsea arag alive) for a dsb then yes, if not, at this stage stay with the LR. Also bear in mind that your sump will need to be dsigned to fit the dsb.

17. Habanero

Habanero Thread Starter

Live sand as in it came from another tank . ok let me give you the whole story the fish the tank the LR and about 25 to 50 % of the water is another guys that he gave me then i went and added the sump and overflow box as he only had an canister filter on there i also spent about 3K on an new light fixture and fluorescent tubes ( i think you call it T5 ) two blue and two white.But I washed the sand I got from him so I don't think that really counts any more

18. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

All I'd do is return the livestock for a refund, with a simple threat - "You refund me or I hang out your dirty laundry on ZA's fishkeeping forums. Your choice...."

19. irie ivan

R3K for a light unit with just 4 x tubes.... HMMMM... Unless its an ATI or Gieseman fixture, dunno so much....
    Lighting is however not our concern at this stage, saving your inmates and avoiding frustration is...

That live sand definitely not live anymore, but a good move to wash it...

Having used old water and old rock from the same system definitely counts in your favour though.

20. irie ivan

I suspect the LFS in question really wont care, I have a pretty good idea, but thats not relevant at this stage.

I would go with my initial advice to get the right products and boost your bacterial population.

21. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

They'd probably say, well go right ahead...

The CPA says something about this,,, something about misinform or something like that, but to win that battle will prob cost more than the ls anyways...

I get so frustrated when lfs do this to the uninformed shopper.! It gives other lfs bad rep.

Recent Posts