Heteractis crispa

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Pieter kruger, 28 Apr 2011.

1. Pieter kruger

Pieter kruger

Hi, hope you are well. I have this anemone in my reef tank, it looks like he settled under a rock away from direct light. I have a small nano tank(100 lt) with t5 lighting. I put him in yesterday and will feed him frozen fish tonight(silverbacks). What kind of clown fish live in them? I have 2 small clowns that were captive bred and they don't go near it. I also use marine snow for my soft corals. will all of this be enough for him, or do I need to use extra
    suplements? what does this guy add to the bioload of the tank? If he touches the other corals and burn them, will they recover? I have mainly soft corals and one hard coral

Last edited: 28 Apr 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I moved your thread to special anemone advice.

4. Pieter kruger

Pieter kruger Thread Starter

hi, hope you are well. thank you, will I still be able to see it on this page, or do I go to my posts?

5. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Pieter, if i am correct you have a very small system with CFL lights ? Unfortunately they will not suffice as crispa is a Large nennie and like all nennies require very good lighting and flow.

I would really reconsider keeping it.

As for your question on clowns , percs will host in it

6. sihaya

sihaya

Wow, this is a lot of different questions.

First off, it's very common for anemones to take a few days, or even weeks, to get settled (and to find a spot they like). Do not feed it whole silversides. This is a common error people make. Just because an anemone, or coral, can swallow a whole fish doesn't mean it should or even wants to. Think about someone putting a whole hotdog in your mouth. You might be able to take it, but you'd probably prefer it in chunks, right? Cut up the silverside into bits, or feed it brine shrimp or something smaller.

As for bioload, the whole silversides are probably adding more to the tank than the anemone itself. An anemone will add to the bioload, probably about as much as a similar sized coral.

The anemone doesn't need any special supplements and marine snow is worthless (I recommend throwing it out).

If the anemone touches other corals, it might burn them. Or, the coral might burn it. It just depends on the type of coral and the respective health/strength of the animals. If the anemone gets burned, yes, it can recover, if it's healthy.

About the clowns, there are some different "tricks" one can use to get clowns and anemones to bond. One of the most successful ways I've heard of is to put the clowns and the anemone in a bucket together for a couple hours. However, at this point, your anemone probably needs a little break from stress. One the anemone is happy and healthy, if it ends up on a rock that can be lifted into a bucket, you might try the bucket trick. BUt right now I'd just wait. Once the anemone is settled in, the clown fish might come to it on their own.

Good luck

7. Pieter kruger

hi, thanks for that. is the marine snow a good product for my other soft corals? or is there a better product? they seem to grow well and looks very healthy

Last edited: 28 Apr 2011
  8. sihaya

sihaya

If we're talking about Marine Snow made by Two Little Fishes, then no, in my opinion, it doesn't have any merit as a coral food. You probably don't have to worry about your soft corals getting food. If you're feeding your fish with quality food, the soft corals should have no problem getting enough to eat in left-overs and fish poo.

9. Pieter kruger

is it hiding uder the rock because it is bleached? I know it will take months to get the algea back in it

10. sihaya

sihaya

Was it bleached when you got it? If it's staying under the rock, it's doing so because that's simply where it wants to be right now (for whatever reason). The best thing you can do for this animal is to just keep your water as high quality as possible. Do you use any carbon filtration?

11. Pieter kruger

I have marine carbon in the filter, yes it was bleached when I got it, I got it yesterday.

12. sihaya

sihaya

Ok, cool. Then I'd just watch and wait... give it some time. :)

13. Anemone

Anemone

A lot of good information already in this thread! 100L is a bit small for an H. crispa. As for the hosting, give it some time. As far as what clownfish will take to the anemone, all the rules get thrown out the window once in captivity.

As Sara stated, don’t feed large pieces of food. Weak anemones need tiny pieces. Please post a pic of the anemone.

14. Braco

Braco

Hectic..

If we know how to propagate or cut our anemone into hundreds even thousands of the same kind...then a lot of others won't have to suffer the cause of death but many will be available for the trade..and those others won't be needed to be taken from the reef..makes sense..

Just my 2c..

15. sihaya

sihaya

Propagation is great, but you shouldn't try to rush the process or over do it. When you split an anemone, this is very traumatic for the animal. You need to give it time to recover. I wouldn't do a second splitting until each part from the previous splitting has healed over.

16. Anemone

Anemone

:thumbup:

Recent Posts