Hermits

Reaction score
How many hermits should go into a 130L tank.

I have two red legged hermits but they dont ever go onto the sand, they just chow on the live rock all the time.

I want to get a few blue ones, but how many hermits can go in a tank?

How many hermits should go into a 130L tank.

I have two red legged hermits but they dont ever go onto the sand, they just chow on the live rock all the time.

I want to get a few blue ones, but how many hermits can go in a tank?

The reds and blues don't always get on that well, i'd suggest 3 or 4 more reds, then for the sand get some nassurius vibex snails (say 5)

How many stars in the sky :p

I would have a minimum of 8-10 dwarf species hermits, they stay small and do a great job cleaning up.

Becareful of the blue legs, they get BIG. And will attack snails and your other hermits for bigger shells, or just for the fun of it.

The only problem I have with the red hermits is that they only tend to come out at night. The one is very elusive, every time I think it has died it reapears.

The nassurius snails, do they drop the same amount of land mines as the turbo snails?

damn those turbo snails are messy, and release a lot of landmines. Quite problamatic imo.

I have never seen nassarius snails in the lfs, anybody got a pic? how are they different to turbos?

damn those turbo snails are messy, and release a lot of landmines. Quite problamatic imo.

I have never seen nassarius snails in the lfs,

Very hard to find in South Africa.

p-80509-snail.jpg

The only problem I have with the red hermits is that they only tend to come out at night. The one is very elusive, every time I think it has died it reapears.

I had a red legged hermit that was great for cleaning LR and substrate, but as he got bigger and bigger he became too destructive and careless when walking over my corals. They are not really Reef safe. He also started digging holes in my substrate. Every evening when I got home i had to cover up the holes. :nono: And I think he actually gave me attitude at some stage. :skeptical: I eventually gave him away.

The nassurius snails, do they drop the same amount of land mines as the turbo snails?

If not nassurius, ask your lfs for any sand burrowing type snail, just dont get a sand star, they just die slowly due to lack of food in a small tank.

I had a red legged hermit that was great for cleaning LR and substrate, but as he got bigger and bigger he became too destructive and careless when walking over my corals. They are not really Reef safe. He also started digging holes in my substrate. Every evening when I got home i had to cover up the holes. :nono: And I think he actually gave me attitude at some stage. :skeptical: I eventually gave him away.

Was it the red hermit with the yellow face?

I did a bit of research on the ones I have and they apparently dont grow very big and are not destructive at all.

Was it the red hermit with the yellow face?

I did a bit of research on the ones I have and they apparently dont grow very big and are not destructive at all.

Agree, if it is the Mexican reds, they stay small. The one JD is talking about is similar to a hermit Crispin had, monster of note. It had a cowrie shell for it's home, gives you an idea how big it was.

If I cant get snails what other creature is good for sifting sand, chowing algae on sand etc?

Nothing really for this size tank, there are loads of other creatures but only suitable for bigger tanks.

Agree, if it is the Mexican reds, they stay small. The one JD is talking about is similar to a hermit Crispin had, monster of note. It had a cowrie shell for it's home, gives you an idea how big it was.

Yup, red hairy legged hermit. Think it had a yellow face. Just keep an eye on them. ;)

How many stars in the sky :p

I would have a minimum of 8-10 dwarf species hermits, they stay small and do a great job cleaning up.

Becareful of the blue legs, they get BIG. And will attack snails and your other hermits for bigger shells, or just for the fun of it.

Are u sure about this Warr? My blue leggeds are much smaller than my Red Leggeds, i dont even think they have changed shells in the 4 months that i have had them.

There are dwarf blue and the larger blue species, you appear to have the dwarf sp.

Are u sure about this Warr? My blue leggeds are much smaller than my Red Leggeds, i dont even think they have changed shells in the 4 months that i have had them.

Those must be cool, never been able to find the small blue boys

:nono: And I think he actually gave me attitude at some stage. :skeptical: I eventually gave him away.

:lol: Wasn't he perhaps a she? :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom