Hermits got my cushion pinned

Reaction score
What is this hermit doing? Is he eating my coral or just cleaning up ?
52847bb1ea45b857.jpg

I can't identify but I have never seen any of my hermits on a pin cushion. Maybe Obi-Wan can give you some info.

The sarco will retreat its polyps when a hermit walks on it, the sarco may have shed a skinlike mucus (which they do to clean themselves) but i don't know what type of hermit that is, so it could easily be eating the polyps, can you identify?

And its a 1, and a 2, and a..AAAAW!!!!!

Your coral isn't pinned.
But hermitcrab almost had the coral on Three Count!

As far as size/mass goes, your hermit is LARGE with respect to your coral, so it tilts alot more downward.

If you had normal, polyp extension within 12h of that pic( i suspect minutes before it was open), assume the coral is HEALTHY.

The TISSUE IRRITATION due to hermit clambering over it, no doubt shut it 's polypary down..well for the pic anyway.

Healthy coral, do retain some mucus, and debris ..BOTH suitable EASY foods for your grazer to chill, and snack on.

What is this hermit doing? Is he eating my coral or just cleaning up ?

I won't be too worried...just be wary

What LFS you get hermit from?

It looks like a species I used to import from Kenya, and very similar to an ECape/KZN type too.

I've found them useful, for my liverock grazing/foraging, and slightly more of a nuisance as they grow.

Based on experience, they are not that suitable when they reach 15-20mm and larger WIDTHWISE. Unless 1.2m tank or larger.

Their greedy opportunism, makes them more focussed on easy meals(fishfood & snails included), and HIJACKING (other hermits/snails to TRY out shell for size).

Thats defiantly the local hermit, mine do occasionally walk over the corals, but the only coral that got eaten was dying/dead.

Your coral isn't pinned.
But hermitcrab almost had the coral on Three Count!

As far as size/mass goes, your hermit is LARGE with respect to your coral, so it tilts alot more downward.

If you had normal, polyp extension within 12h of that pic( i suspect minutes before it was open), assume the coral is HEALTHY.

The TISSUE IRRITATION due to hermit clambering over it, no doubt shut it 's polypary down..well for the pic anyway.

Healthy coral, do retain some mucus, and debris ..BOTH suitable EASY foods for your grazer to chill, and snack on.

The pincushion is healthy and has full extension as per normal. When hermit decided to climb the pincushion then everything retracted.

Will keep an eye on it, I have two of these hermits and haven't had this problem before.

OK, I think my pincushion is sick. With lights out the hermit is back and now he really looks like he is nibbling away.

Should I put the hermit or the coral in the sump

i had two zebra hermits climbed all over knocked things down ,chomped on new frags, changed for the little red ones, less destructive imo.

OK, I think my pincushion is sick. With lights out the hermit is back and now he really looks like he is nibbling away.

Should I put the hermit or the coral in the sump
:policeman:
Sin bin!

Sump Dump the Chump!

Soft coral, and LPS,deflated, stressed out or diseased have NO real chance of rapid recovery if bothered like that.

No harm will come to hermit insump :blushing:

:policeman:
Sin bin!

Sump Dump the Chump!

Soft coral, and LPS,deflated, stressed out or diseased have NO real chance of rapid recovery if bothered like that.

No harm will come to hermit:blushing:

OK the counts in the hermit joins his buddies in the sump

Thanks for the advice.

Now I check the tank and he is leaving the corral alone, hmph !

I'm just curious, that hermit definitely looks identical to the local ones we have on our KZN coastline. Where did you get him from?

I'm just curious, that hermit definitely looks identical to the local ones we have on our KZN coastline. Where did you get him from?

He is local, I got him and two other mates with the tank and he is the middle sided unit.

The bigboy has recently taken to a huge snailshell and become a bit of a dozer.

But I won't take him out because he does such a good job at cleaning. I really need the cleaning because I feed fresh fish to 2 x LPS corals, seastar and lionfish, so I have scraps lying around. By the morning all gone.

Also noticed my Nassarius Snails do a great job too.

Ok, cool, yeah I had a few of the local ones as well, never had any problems with them.

Nassarius snails are also excellent for your tank.

Hi Warr - I too have some of these little hermits in my tank. So far I have not had any issues with them - except for some of them becoming a bit frisky once I have fed my sun-coral. I don't take too lightly that they climb onto my suncoral - even though I know that they cannot really do too much damage once the sun-coral polyps have retracted. They eat off the left-over meaty foods that I feed my sun-coral (the tiny pieces that land inbetween the polyps in the indentations)...

I collected some of those hermits in East London over December,never had any problems.Very distinctive looking with those yellow feet and blue legs.

Back
Top Bottom