Hermits climbing out of tank

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by PeterL, 21 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

Here is an add one, I have a bunch of little hermits in my refugium (tried them in my DT but they just wreck the place) and for some unknown reason they climb up the silicone (no clue how they get it right because it is smoothed off well) in the corner and drop off either into the inlet chamber or outlet chamber. They go one way but won't go back, I got to keep fishing them out to put them where they are meant to be

Why would they do this and how would I stop it?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

He he are these the acrobatic dwarf ones I sent you ?

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Zombie Clam - do you have any bracing along the sides of your sump at all? If not, perhaps place some glass off-cuts at an angle across the corners of your sump - you can just let the glass "lie there" without needing to stick the glass using silicone or anything.... this would stop the hermits from climbing "out".... Don't worry - mine also climbs up the corner silicone of my tank - but they cannot get out due to the bracing on my tank.....

BTW: I see you got the signature "thing" right! :thumbup:

5. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

They are, they are freekin kamkazee spiderman little things - they rock, just cabs indise shells but I dig them, only thing is I got to fetch them to where they need to be constantly, sometimes in the morning before work and again in the afternoon and sometimes again before I head for bed in the evening.

I don't know if I should just leave them where they end up, the thought is that they would eventually run out of food supply in an empty glass chamber but be too stupid to think of going back where they came from and have a food supply:p

6. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Ja, no - look, when you got a master teaching you how to do it - lol...if I wave my hand way over here can you feel me scratching your newly boosted ego :lol:
    Thanks for the signature help, appreciated.

I don't racall who, but I saw a pic just the other day of someone cutting a groove in a PVC pipe and putting that over the edge of the glass where the water ran over, I am giving consideration to that idea.

I am just waiting on a 3ft tank for "new" sump which I am going to be replacing my 2ft refugium, when I layout the partitions I will do that.

At the moment I dont have any offcuts which I can use for that purpose.

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

I train them with a whip! I'm gonna put them in a circus someday :lol: These things are hardy buddy - Great idea from jacquesb .... Mine are all over the sump ... I just throw in whatever I'm feeding the tank every now and then and they seem to make a sprinting dash for the food.... very cool buggers

8. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

At this rate I am going to create the full circus, I got the acrobatic crabs, got a clown which just acts funny (quite healthy, just slow swim to one end of the tank and flash to the other side as fast as he can - he does that for hours on end, like a gold fish...ooh, I see a powehead, aah boaring, ooh a power head, aah boaring...over and over and over), got a candy cane in the DT...and all this time I thought I was putting a reef display together - was I sadly mistaken :lol:

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

If you've got time watch the crabs when they get to a point just before they fall over into the next section of the sump ... a ripper but some actually can do like they walking a tightrope along the edge of the partitions ... very talented!

10. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Hey Chika, in that "cup of DSB" you sent, there are cool looking pink wormy flowery things growing in the sand - like pink hair almost. Do you have any idea what they are or am I just too board to have stared for long enough at my sand and noticed something the size of the old 1c coin on my sand??

11. chikaboo

chikaboo

Spaghetti worms .... and lots of bristtle worms - get yourself a cheap magnifying glass - there's tons of gogga's in that sand - just hope they do "nasty" and start multiplying in your dsb - quickly - will be part of your natural filteration ....

12. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Funny part, if I am not on MASA then I am staring at the tanks - if the lights are out then I am staring below at teh crabs and random ongoings in the refugium (soon to be sump)...I have seen the crabs take a sketchy walk along the edge of the glass - as if to see if they can get the entire length without falling over - LOL. One got the whole way across the other day and I ust sat and watching him battle along, just for him to get to the otherside and this crazy human came and shoved his butt back to where he should be - couldn't figure it out, but it seemed "crabby" for the rest of the night

13. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

{giggle giggle}
    First you telling me to get a whip for my crabs, which no matter how I say that - it just comes out sounding all wrong. Now you want my gogga's to do the nasty...this thread is going all the way to Australia (down under) :lol::lol::lol:

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

It happens to the most sane of us buddy.... wait till you start referring to people like they look like a goby or they walk like a crab or the dance like a nudi ...... You will start to see the marine in everyday life....

15. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I already do that - LOL

16. chikaboo

chikaboo

If you can get your hands on other members sand - just a cupfull from different members - it will help with having lots of different critters in the dsb and then you have thingy's in there helping out with the filteration - a nice variety ... variety is the spice of life....

17. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Anyone on the East Rand who can offer me a cup or 1/2 cup of their DSB? Not to use as sand volume but for the "critters" within as mentioned above.

18. robertkukla

robertkukla

i got glass blocks for you that you can put on the ends so the little dudes dont get over

19. chikaboo

chikaboo

You forgetting they kamakazi crabs .... glass blocks will just fuel their adrenilin and they will like the challenge:razz:

20. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

They are going to use the glass blocks for power lifting excersise gear, then when they get over onto the top of it they will stand there like Rocky (claws raised and dancing around like some kind of hero) - then do a tripple flick flack flip into the wrong chamber just because they know it bugs me...LOL..

21. robertkukla

robertkukla

ok what ever

Recent Posts