Hermit Shed

Reaction score
When a Hermit sheds it's skin, shell, exoskeleton etc. Should I remove it. Will it cause ammonia or nitrites in the system ?

It will shed as it grows, the exo-skeleton will be fine if left in the tank, it is just shell rather than dead flesh.

Thanks, will it eventually disappear, my little girl is convinced one of the hermits is dead :lol:

It will eventually disappear, I also thought I had lost a hermit the first time I saw a shed in my tank, but finding and counting my hermits reassured me that all were still alive and kicking.

Hi Warr - the exo-skeleton sometimes get eaten by the hermits as well - the exo-skeleton is made up of creatine (hope my spelling is correct) - which in the end sometimes just get's grated into the tiniest of pieces - adding to the substrate...

same thing happened to me to and mine she its skin just 2 days after I bought mine for my previous tank. Got a fright until I saw something moving on a rock and saw it was him.

Hi,
Yeah got the same fright two days ago. Thought I lost one of my red legged hermits.

On the topic of hermits growing....
Should one have a couple shells lying loose in the tank for the hermits to "undress and dress" as they grow ? I do not have a good supply of suitable size shell and added 4 the other day. The one hermit immediately started to investigate and the next day he crawled around proudly showing of his new "suit" ... :thumbup: .
</IMG>

Cheers

Thx for the info Wee-man,

Will have to go and do some "shell shopping" a.s.a.p.

Cheers

Thx for the info Wee-man,

Will have to go and do some "shell shopping" a.s.a.p.

Cheers

What with buying our pet rocks and empty shells, you start to feel that we should only be allowed out with qualified medical staff:whistling:

:lol: Well Wee-man,
My Wife was convinced that something must be wrong in my top story the day she realised what exactly I am spending on setup and of live stock - not as cheap as I've innitially told her .... she could not believe that somebody in his sane mind would go and pay that sums of money on fishies .... :whistling:

:lol: Well Wee-man,
My Wife was convinced that something must be wrong in my top story the day she realised what exactly I am spending on setup and of live stock - not as cheap as I've innitially told her .... she could not believe that somebody in his sane mind would go and pay that sums of money on fishies .... :whistling:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: it's madness really, but it keeps us off the streets and out of the bars;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: it's madness really, but it keeps us off the streets and out of the bars;)

Or we end up on the street, broke, and drinking RO water and vodka out of bottles in brown paper bags:p

Back
Top Bottom