Hermit Habits!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Helga, 7 Jun 2012.

1. Helga

Helga

I have two huge blue legged hermits in the tank that has on several occasions shown the same odd behaviour. Not at the same time though.

About once a month they go to the same spot (a cup coral) and sit as if dead on top of it for about 2 days. First I though he has died and removed him off the coral and put him on the sand. 15min later, he was back on the coral. I thought no ways.... picked him up again and put him on a rock right on the other side of the tank. Same again, when I checked the tank again he was back. I left him there and thought maybe his eating something on the coral. Two days later I found a fleshy part with legs lying next to him on the coral. Dead for sure :(. I picked him up and put the "empty" shell on the sand.. Voila... there he goes.

Now you might think this is nothing exceptional as they all need bigger shells when they outgrow the previous one. But both have the same behaviour on a monthly basis. The same coral. And they dont change shells.... it looks like theyre molting... I did not know hermits molt... thought they move into a new shell once they outgrow them.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

Seen the exact same thing with mine

4. NJH

NJH

They do in fact molt. They will move into new shells only when they outgrow their current accomodation.

5. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

The more I get to learn about the habits of the inhabitants in my tank the more I am in awe of their intelligents/instinct. I mean these little guys goes to the very same coral time after time, even when I put him right on the other side of the tank, to molt. And his just a crab :lol:

6. Greg Bridger

Greg Bridger

Thank goodness someone else's hermit is doing the hide and seek thing.

Mine crept so deep into a crevice that I battled to get him out he jammed himself in so tight.

I thought it had just got stuck and I had managed to save it:thumbup:, but the very next day he was back jammed solid. I removed it once again and put a small rock over the hole.

It's found a new hidey hole but is moving around more during the day so I'm stoked to hear this is normal behavior.

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

if its not changing shells then the shell its in is big enough. I had a tiny hermit move into such a big shell that it couldnt move lol. Then it moved into a smaller shell and molted about 4 times and never changed shells again

8. mytank

mytank

I actually need some shells where can I get some :)

9. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

The most shells I've seen for sale is at PetStop in Pretoria.... They normally have a selection to choose from... Or... ask one of the CT guys to pick up some shells from the beach. Its becoming a endangered find on our beaches though :(. I have family that go to Lambertsbaai every year and he supplies me with all the housing they need :thumbup:

10. Chris Franky

Chris Franky

You guys are lucky, my Hermit shed for the third time and after his last shed he managed to loose 3 legs. The poor guy is now operating with one blue leg and his 2 pincers to get around....i am praying he somehow gets his other legs back??

11. NJH

NJH

When he molts again he should be fine

12. NJH

NJH

When they molt they are very vulnerable (as are shrimps etc). It takes time for them to harden up. That is why they hide when molting. Lost limbs are generated when they molt again but can take a few times before fully restored. The old skeleton is also usually clearly displayed after molting. Probably to fool preditors.

13. Chris Franky

Chris Franky

thanks

14. Mewik

Mewik

My one hermit kept climbing to the highest spot in my tank, which was on top of a coral. He kept bugging the coral so I decided to flick him off.......when he hit the ground my other hermit ran out and savaged him, flipped him over, ripped his claw off and then tried to pull him out, he somehow managed to slip out and climbed onto the attackers shell. Was kind of funny watching him hide on the attackers shell. In the end he left with no shell and claw and was never seen again. So he was actually up there to avoid being eaten. I assume the other hermit wanted his shell, but in the end he didn't even take the shell so who knows what it was about.

Savage little things

15. NJH

NJH

That iswhy it is always a good idea to have a few extra shells in the tank to allow them to grow, otherwise they will fight for bigger accomodations.

16. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

I've seen them fight over shells and I've seen hermits attack the snails for their shells. So I try and avoid this having a few sizes of shells lying around....

17. thedove

thedove

ebay you can get some good sizes bud

Recent Posts