Hermit crabs

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Hingis, 9 Nov 2014.

1. Hingis

Hingis

I have a blue legged hermit crab quite a big chap that seems to love living on top of my plate coral. At first it was on the zoas and now has taken a shine to the new addition. How on earth do you keep them off??? My coral never raises his tentacles anymore because of it. I'm also at the point that the crab has got to go.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jimilutz

jimilutz

He is probably camping there waiting for the next meal when your target feed your plate. Stop target feeding the plate for a while.

Hingis likes this.
  4. King_Triton

King_Triton

I would just let him be.. its nature. I had my caarpet anemone stick on top of my clam for a few days. annoyed the clam a bit, but nature takes its course and it will sort itself out.

5. Hingis

Hingis Thread Starter

Yeah you right mate. Back to the same old of, patience

6. King_Triton

King_Triton

Yep. I think these sort of things annoy us more than it annoys the critters in our tanks. I remember when I get an anemone, I always want it in the place I have for it in my mind., But we cannot feel the flow, amount of light, etc in that specific area. The creature knows what best suites it. Did you know your plate coral can move to another location by itself?

I have 3 in my tank, that are around the same area. The small orange one always moves to the bigger on so that it can touch it. Happens over and over again.. so now i just let it be :m106:

7. Hingis

Hingis Thread Starter

Thanks for that. Definitely puts me at ease. I got a Rock Flower nennie that I was about to move now into a spot I want him in as he jumped off the rock on the substrate where there is hardly any light and behind another rock so I can't see him... Anyway I suppose if that's where he wants be I must let it be.. Wow I had no idea plate corals move on there own. Cool, mine has never moved.

8. King_Triton

King_Triton

I also didnt know they moved until I saw this in my own tank. did a little reading and it is possible. I remember looking under it the first time, thinking something living under it moved it around.

With nennies, i noticed that they will always move away from "our perfect spot". Mine has moved around my 2m tank about 4 times already. running this tank for 4 months now. It even sticks to the glass and different rocks. I notice that by leaving it be, it looks much more healthy than when I move it to where i want it. It also takes feeding much more easier. When I move it around, it doesnt really feed.

Recent Posts