hermit crabs

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Chris Makings, 17 Jun 2013.

1. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

Hey guys,

I just want to. Find out what. could of happened to my on hermit crab,

Basically found him outside his shell and shell. Was empty, I know he did not shed as he did the previous week, just all of. He was lifeless,

I did do a water change two days ago and I have had him for about 3 weeks now.

I don't want to loose my other one but he seems fine and so does the turbo snail

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hermit crabs are very sensitive to water parameters and especially salinity. if your salinity was lower/higher before you did the water change that could've killed him. also water temperature is very important. for example if the water that you used for water change was too cold when you added it to the tank the hermit could've suffered a shock.

4. Chris Makings

Chris Makings Thread Starter

@HOT SAUCE, I do understand that but it was almost two days later that he died?

Would it not affect him sooner?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

@HOT SAUCE is right, they are extremely sensitive to sudden parameter changes.
    It is possible that it could have lasted for 2 days before it died.
    Are you mixing your own salt water or are you buying from a petstore?
    What is your salinity?
    Are you using RO water to mix the salt?

6. Chris Makings

@Visser, yes I am mixing my own water, it was the first time I did a water change in my tank. using red sea coral mix.

Sanity is normal and so is everything else, but I do have some gha in my tank, my other hermit and turbo snail are fine,

I know its wrong but I have not used RO water in my tank, saving up for a unit and will be getting a bigger tank in the new year, could it have been that?

7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hi Chris
    i want to ask how old is your tank first and second i want to find out do you test your Nitrates and Phosphates. green hair algae is normally associated with new tanks that are still in cycle or old tanks that are being over fed or have problems with filtration. either way high nitrates can kill a hermit, even thou they are part of a 'clean up crew' they cant withstand very high nutrient systems

8. Chris Makings

my tank is just over 7 weeks now, have not tested phosphates but every thing else in the norm.

I have added in a wave maker to the tank so get more circulation going and it seems to have helped abit, only put the lights on for about 3 hours a day,

what should the phosphates be when I get a test kit?

9. Snoek

Snoek

I am new at this hobby 2 but one thing I added was a phosphate reactor.
    You need a reading of 0.

10. Chris Makings

Thanks snoek, I will go and price one and see what I can get for the size tank I have

11. Snoek

Snoek

Get a 2nd hand one. Then you just add PhosGuard. If you are going to buy a new one then there is no point in getting "the best" reactor. I bought a JNS reactor from Perky Pets and it really does the job.

12. Chris Makings

Cool, I am still learing about all of this, but I dont have a big tank< I have a aquaria nano 102 and I am not sure where I would put it as I only have 5 compartments in the back of the tank and all of them are occupied at the moment

13. Snoek

Snoek

Well then I would just put some PhosGaurd in a bag that you can get at your LFS or grab a ladies camio and pt it in there.

14. Chris Makings

thanks snoek, hopefully that would help.

15. Bendor

Bendor

Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 comes with a micro bag. Just put it in the bag and maybe bom it like Biocubes. If you weigh it down I'm sure you'll get more flow through your media than if you left the bag as is

16. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

or you can try NoPoX from RED SEA. its liquid carbon source that you add to your tank every day and it will lower both your Nitrates and Phosphates. goes for about 150.00 for a 500ml bottle that should last you about 6 months.

i prefer liquid carbon dosing because you have more control over how much nutrients i the water you want. for example unless you have a low nutrient system SPS only tank i wouldn't recommend having your NO3 and Po4 down to zero. they should be around 0.25 for No3 and about 0.02 for phosphates.. but that's a totally different topic. just see which method suits you best and go for it

17. Chris Makings

@HOT SAUCE, I am running active carbon in my tank, would I still need to dose with the NoPox as well?

How often should I change the active carbon? I did rinse it before I added it to the tank,

18. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

depending on the quality of the Activated carbon. if you are using the cheap brands like the ones that go for 8 rand for a pack i would say change it every week. otherwise about once a month if you use Seachem for example.

19. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

how ever in my case i found that using NoPoX also makes my water cristal clear and there is no need for activated carbon so i took it out of the tank. since NoPoX is liquid carbon source it will help your skimmer bind the unwanted particles on the water with the bubbles it makes and take them out. it really works well

20. Chris Makings

I think I payed R45 for the a liter, will change it this week then, was the. Cheapest one I could find, can. I also use the NoPoX with the active carbon? Just to help get rid of the gha that I have in my tank. In some parts it seems to. Have died off but still growing in other parts. Will cleaner shrimps also eat the gha? Thinking on getting one to help

21. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

no cleaner shrimp dont eat GHA. also activeted carbon won't help much with that. try and get some turbo snails they will help. as for using NoPoX with activeted carbon i see no problems with that. but in my opinion its just not necessary

Recent Posts