Hermit crabs molting ?

Apollo

Clownfish
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a quick question ( And perhaps a pretty stupid one)

Both my Hermits have recently molted. They have been in the tank for approx 3 weeks now.

Since I run a 58liter Nano , I don't really want them to grow since they may become too large for the tank. As such I don't provide them with bigger shells.

Now the question/s : Is it a problem if I don't provide for bigger shells at this stage ?
Secondly , in starting to dose Iodine will this not trigger the molting for the Hermits ?

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
No problem, they will hunt down snails if they get deseperate

Dosing iodine to make crustaceans moult is a total myth/wife's tale ;)

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Crustaceans need/use iodene to molt. One molt every 2 months is about normal. Just remember that they can and will kill other gastropods (snails) and/or each other for their shells.

Apollo

Clownfish
Reaction score

Thanks Warr,

I am not looking at doing Iodine to trigger the molting, but rather as supplementation for the softies I have in my tank.
Just wanted to be sure that I won't encourage molting of the hermits .:p

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score

I agree you cannot "make" them molt, but they use iodine.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Thanks Warr,

I am not looking at doing Iodine to trigger the molting, but rather as supplementation for the softies I have in my tank.
Just wanted to be sure that I won't encourage molting of the hermits .:p
There is huge amount in the salt you use, when doing water changes.

I have had a tank running for over a year, I have never dose Iodine and my creatures regularly molt.

I have over 50 crustaceans in my tank.

Iodine dosing is for reefers who don't do regular water changes and certain corals

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Agree on the salt, although iodine never stay long in the water. Iodine is also added through the frozen foods we feed if I'm not mistaken.

Apollo

Clownfish
Reaction score
There is huge amount in the salt you use, when doing water changes.

I have had a tank running for over a year, I have never dose Iodine and my creatures regularly molt.

I have over 50 crustaceans in my tank.

Iodine dosing is for reefers who don't do regular water changes and certain corals
Aha ! Thanks Warr.

Well then, at present since I am doing 15% WC's on a weekly basis and since there are only mushrooms in the tank , I won't look at dosing Iodine as yet.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
although iodine never stay long in the water
That why dosing is for lazy reefers. Test your tank for Iodine 2 days after doing a WC, and the levels are very high. In my tank it takes more than 2 weeks to drop below the recommended NSW levels.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Aha ! Thanks Warr.

Well then, at present since I am doing 15% WC's on a weekly basis and since there are only mushrooms in the tank , I won't look at dosing Iodine as yet.
Keep it up, WC are one the most important chores of keeping a reef tank, especially the smaller Nano's ;)

Tony

Flame Angel
Reaction score
IOdine overdosing will cause crustaceans to molt prematurely. You should get some shells for the hermits to fit into. BUt about five of different sizes and when you see the guy has changed remove the remaining shells. You cannot stop them from growing