Hermit crabs low survival rate

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I seem to have a very low survival rate for hermit crabs.
Everything else seems to thrive except my crabs. My first thought is food. But how do you feed them without your other fish stealing the food. They also show zero interest in food like hake.
I'm talking about blue legged as well as the local blue eyes and yellow legged.
Any idea what to start looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Very odd, my crab is 2 and a half year old, the moment any food hits the water, its there instantly.

How many crabs you got, could one not be killing the rest.

I had initially bought 5, I have one left. The one had killed the others in about 1 month. I added another one, it also got killed, then I realised the same one was left, always that specific one.

Last edited:
When they molt, the other hermits take them out. Or even the fish sometimes going in for easy lunch.

I have had 2 that were killed off by others.
Had 2 blue legs and 2 red ones with blue eyes.
There is only one of each left and one dark green one.
Not sure if the same types will kill each other.
Had 2 blue legs in my frag tank and both died in the same week, reason unknown

Could very likely be fish killing them as well. I have a birdwrasse whom excels at this.

They are vulnerable when molting too, so could be a factor.
Have seen one on a few occasions trying to get another out it's shell. Not sure if "land grabbing" between hermits is a thing:m01:.

I don't target feed hermits, but when I started my tank I feed them Shrimp Cuisine by Hikari. Now they eat flakes, pellets and mysis, basically anything that doesn't get eaten by the fish. They start scurrying around as soon as the smell anything.

Back
Top Bottom