Hermit crabs gone??!!

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Docsuliman, 18 Aug 2013.

1. Docsuliman

Docsuliman

Hi all

I've had crabs in for about a month. They were doin AWSOME. All but one have sply disappeared. They were v Mobile around the tank and didnt tyk much to find them. But for the last week, they jus gone. And the shells too. Can't seem to find any trace. What should I do. It's a 1.8 m tank and has lots of rock.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what fish do you have in the tank. Or any possible predators of hermits. How many hermits did you have? Do you have extra empty shells for the hermits to take over?

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

how long have they been missing. hermit crabs molt every now and then which means that they shed their exoskeleton in order to regrow any missing limbs grow in size etc. before they molt they'll go into hiding for anything between few days to two weeks where they are just hiding somewhere not eating and just hibernating .. that's normal after they have shed their exoskeleton they'll reappear give them few days

Last edited: 18 Aug 2013
  5. Docsuliman

Docsuliman Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. No fish yet. And no xtra shells. It jus seems so odd that they all simply 'disappeared'. I had about 5, only one roaming around now. If they are in fact dead, what should I do? Do I have to start moving rocks Loking for them and removing them? I got nothing else in the tank, was gona add some polyps this week but decided to wait untill I figure this out.

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I'm sure they are probably going to molt...try and get some shells for just in case...by the way ...with no fish, I assume you done the cycling and started to add the Clean up Crew..? You mention a month so it's not a new cycling tank...hence probably molting...

Last edited: 18 Aug 2013
  7. Docsuliman

Docsuliman Thread Starter

Thanks guys. My heart at ease a little. I jus hope they are molting. Where can I get these shells from and how much are they?

Recent Posts