hermit crabs and snails in the refugium??

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by ZaxXx, 15 Oct 2011.

1. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

This question is for those who have a good answer with reason.
    No thumb sucking please:whistling:!

Hermit crabs and snails in the refugium??
    Is this advised or not?
    Would the hermits and snails not feed off the other smaller pods and life in the refuge??

Thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I have snails, hermits and even urchins in my refugium. Urchins help to keep the sides clean. Hermits the sand, and snails also eat the green algae growth against the glass.

Hermits and snails (depending obviously on snail type) does help to keep the sand free of detritus.

4. roderigo

roderigo

I might be wrong here but don't hermits eat sails ???and as for the snails and say a DSB it depends on what type of snails you get and. how many you put in your sump cos if you get the wrong type it will wipe out all you critter in your DSB just my 2 cent

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Definitely adviseable for some carefully selected macro lifeforms in your fuge, but be very conservative with stocking. Selection of life forms will depend greatly on yur intention for your fuge. If it is just another pretty and different area to look at and observe it does not really matter too much what you put in there.
    If you want it to function as a dsb, some detrivores such as cerith snails would be best, as they are subsurface and surface detritus feeding organisms.
    I would not recommend hermits, as they are oppurtunistic feeders, which will feed on detritus and left over food, BUT they will also tear into copepods and amphipods. Copepods and amphipods and especially their larvae can contribute significantly to the food cycle in your tank, and are extremely effecient at recycling nutrients, so having them devoured by hermits is not adviseable.

Another popular addition to sand beds and refugia, is sand sifting stars. Although some of them may be beneficial in terms of turning over nutrients, the vast ajority are ferocious predators which could decimate the population of fauna in your fuge.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2011
  6. 2balive

2balive

I have a number of small brittle stars in my refugium, do they hunt/eat pods?

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I don't think so, as far as I know they are just detritivores.

8. irie ivan

Depends on species. Most are detrivores, but there are some nasties out there. Most brtittlestarts do however prefer rocky substrate over sand

9. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

OKAY . . . so i pulled out the hermits from the refuge, they in my DT now

10. irie ivan

Just ensure there are some empty shells for them, or they will attack snails and or each other for a new home.

Recent Posts