hermit crab

dallasg

Reaction score
the guys at the coast get them for free :)

but i would assume about R50 bucks, havent bought any yet...

Peanut

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
I would like to hi-jack the thread a bit.

I read that I need to provide bigger shells for hermit to grow into.

Mine is about 1.5cm shell currently, but I see he is getting to big for his shell.

Can I use a shell I picked up off beach, or do they need specific shells?

dallasg

Reaction score
i think u can use them, only if allowed to be collected by law, or one can buy shells, lets see what the pros say... would like to know myself

Storm

Chromis
Reaction score
The coastel ones are really ugly, especially the bigger ones. None the less I have 6 small ones in my Reef and they do there job. I don't provide bigger shells since it gives them room to grow... which eventually will cause them to eat something i don't want them to. *Reminds me of my 10cm Hermit Crab Crusty... NEVER AGAIN*

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
As long as the shell more or less looks like the old one and is obviously a bit bigger it should be fine. Just clean the shells you wanna use with a surrenge or turkey baster with tank water on the inside. He might take it or he might not...

Peanut

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
OK, my hermit crab took his new shell last night. Found him this morning taking it for a spin around the tank. :slayer:

Time will tell if he likes and will keep. Not going to offer him any bigger shells, as I don't want him to get too big.

Have three shells of similar size in tank, he can change his wardrobe as often as he likes. :p

Jaak

Foxface
Reaction score
Are they covered in anything? I saw hermits today going for around R80-00 each!

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I would like to hi-jack the thread a bit.

I read that I need to provide bigger shells for hermit to grow into.

Mine is about 1.5cm shell currently, but I see he is getting to big for his shell.

Can I use a shell I picked up off beach, or do they need specific shells?
Hi Peanut - there are some types of shells which you can indeed pick up. The periwinckle type shells are favoured by hermit crabs - as the shells are very smooth on the inside, and their bodies usually fits nicely into this shell type....

BUT - I don't think that you require a permit to collect shells from the beach. BUT - if you want to collect live periwinckles, you will need to have an invertebrate collecting permit - which you can get from the local post office.... It's the same form as the fishing and SCUBA diving permit - and each "option" (tick) you select, costs you +-R70 (some options are more, others costs less)....

Junz

Blenny
Reaction score
between R50- R80- for the Blue / red hermits

Dont buy them if they more than R80 bucks, im sure some kind reefer will be able to help you out with a few local hermits