Hermit Crab Shells

Reaction score
Hey guys

For the guys in JHB, where do you get more shells from? Want to put a few in the tank and see what my hermit does. Also, I remember seeing pics of glass ones somewhere. Any idea where and how much?

Reaction score
sparky - if you put in bigger shells, you will encourage your hermits to grow. Do you want bigger hermits?

Reaction score
I actually just don't like the current one. Think a glass shell would look awesome, but failing that I want a few to put in and see if he takes.

Reaction score
re shells

i put shells in my tank, it was cute to see them trying shells on. they grew into the new shells and i suddenly found i had bulldozers in my tank. imo the bigger they get the more they need to eat and therefore become predatory. they got hold of my anenome crab and chowed him. not cool. will rather keep mine small and more herbivorous. ps if bigger , they push their way through small gaps and cause chaos

Reaction score
agree -animal kingdom - both branches - have plenty or the normal shells - but do not put them in - i had to give away my cool hermits because they became too big and distructive.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Sparky, I think the glass shells were just a gimmick. Glass shells will probably be covered in either nuisance or coralline algae very quickly.