hermie's tank thread...

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by hermie, 14 Sep 2011.

1. hermie

hermie

Hi All

Our tank has been running for over 7 months now and felt it's long overdue it's own tank thread.

Just a quick background, my husband and I are serious ocean lovers and have always wanted a marine tank. After spending a few long cold years in Europe and the UK, we moved back to our sunny hometown and decided that having the sea as our backyard was not good enough and that we needed a piece of the ocean in our lounge. So we went out and bought a secondhand 1.2m set-up off gumtree. Fortunately we found the MASA community early into our new found hobby and haven't made too many newbie mistakes so far or so we think...

So here is our set-up specs:

DT - 1.2m wide x 0.4m deep x 0.5m high
    Sump - 1.2m
    Skimmer - Reeftek TS2
    Return pump - Sicce 45W 2500l/hr
    Powerheads - 3x JVC101 sunsuns
    Lighting - 4x 54W T5s

Sump - The tank came with a trickle filter on the side, we took out the bioballs and ceramic rings and converted it into a mini refugium with chaeto (with the overflow runnning through some filterfloss first). Our first chamber in the sump contains the heaters and a 'sock' of carbon which we change every week, this is followed by the skimmer and then the DSB, a few mangroves and more chaeto which run on reverse lighting. We then have a DIY auto ro top-up in the last chamber with the return pump.

We do weekly 25l water changes with Seachem reef salt or NSW if the sea conditions are good. We manually dose the kalk, iodine, magnisium etc etc...

I feed the fishes twice a day and wish I could feed them more...I have to regularly restrain myself from putting in more and more food... I can't help myself as they get all excited when they see me pick up the bottle of fish food and start dancing up and down the glass...how can you resist :whistling:
    Food wise, they get ocean nutrition pellets, cyclop-eeze and are treated with freshly hatched brine shrimp or chopped up seafood mix a few times a week when we target feed the corals and nennie.

So here is the LS list:

Fish:
    6x locally caught anthias (husband can't help himself when he goes freediving)
    3x blue green chromis
    2x nemos
    1x midas blenny
    1x local cleaner wrasse
    1x blue dot sleeper goby
    3x local algae munching blennies and 1x hitchhiking blenny
    1x yellow tang
    1x local angler fish which lives in the sump and gets fed live fish from the rockpools

Inverts:
    1x porcelain crab
    1x clam
    1x nennie (think it's a sand nennie and before anyone comments, it was given to us and we have now had it for 5 months and it definitely grown so must be happy)
    1x local seahare
    1x local boxer shrimp
    lots of local hermies and snails

Corals:
    Various local zoas
    Mushrooms
    Sinularia
    Sarcophyton
    Torch coral
    Open brain (the lfs called it a rose coral)
    Yellow black coral

So now for the long awaited photos...

Last edited: 14 Sep 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. hermie

hermie Thread Starter

[​IMG]

4. hermie

hermie Thread Starter

Some local zoas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. hermie

hermie Thread Starter

Some corals

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

wow, looking good...

7. hermie

hermie Thread Starter

This little blenny came as a hitchhiker in some live rock. He's not the prettiest fish but a real little character

[​IMG]

8. hermie

hermie Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hermie

hermie Thread Starter

Finally...our little angler fish that we found in the local rockpools. The first pic is the day we caught him and the second is when he was still living in the DT (he was so camouflaged). He was then banished to the sump after eating our cute little turncoat hogfish...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Sep 2011
  10. shane dewar

shane dewar

tank looks really cool!!!

11. hermie

hermie Thread Starter

Thought I would add this old cellphone pic for fun. This is our local cleaner wrasse when we first caught him. He has since more than doubled in size and started to get his adult colours. A little character and pest when trying to target feed the corals and nennie as he wants to eat everything...

[​IMG]

12. Boegie

Boegie

Really great setup and photo skills. Thanks for starting the thread. Will learn a lot from here.

13. grega

grega

Hey Hermie,
    Your tank looks great, my tank is about the same size and roughly the same age. It also includes locally caught fish as well as a couple of others. But somehow mine does not look quite as good. I'm have certainly made some rookie errors, and am sure that Im still making them. I never mix my own water and if the sea water is not great, I simply skip the water change and do double the following week. I also dont have a RO unit and need to get RO from LFS, which is not ideal.
    I am also a freediver but find catching goldies tough, although there are hundreds I cannot catch them easily (in fact I only have 2). Does your husband have specific technique?

Anyway just thought I would say: nice work, keep it up!
    Regards
    Greg

14. zayd

zayd

Very nice setup and photos. Love the angler.

15. hermie

hermie Thread Starter

Hey Greg, he said he went ages without being able to catch them. But now has his favorite 'Goldie reef' at about 12m and he says he herds them into a crack with his hand and then scoops them into the net (he has a long breath hold so he has time to be patient). He has gotten so good at it that I've banned him from coming home with any more :lol: He also only comes home with the tiny ones.

About the water changes, we never used to mix our seawater and only used NSW then about 3 months ago we got frustrated with the ongoing dirty water conditions and bought a big tub of salt. It has been quite convenient being able to avoid hauling the water up the beach and just mixing in our bathroom. But we really like NSW as it must be full of good bacteria and different zooplankton for the tank. We buy our ro water from oasis and add it to a 25l container connected to our auto top-up. It works for us but I'm sure we will look into getting a ro unit one day when the budget allows.

Good luck with the Goldie hunting

16. grega

grega

Thanks Hermie, will try that....if he catches anymore and they need a home, I'm around the corner and here to help. :)

17. bothal08

bothal08

very nice setup u have there....i love that hitch-hiker blenny.
    heres a dumb question...but what is that tall thin blue coral called....im still new to the hobby:lol:

18. Tremayn

Tremayn

What a beaut :thumbup:

Recent Posts