Here's a real head scratcher

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Hi guys
Not to say that I am not already very impressed with the vast knowledge displayed on this site, but I will be knocked out if someone can ID this! I've never seen or heard of anything like it!

It looks exactly like a long maggot and swims remarkably fast. Here's one of it in a net after I caught it, and one when it was swimming at the top of the tank.

The biggest was about 16mm and thre were at least 4 of them.

Anyone know what these are and whether they are good or bad???

Thanks!!
22Feb08031.gif

22Feb08030.gif

22Feb08029.gif

Hi Bayls -
OK - you're right - perhaps I cannot ID it 100% - BUT it is quite possible a larvae of some sorts.

I will investigate some more and see if I can get some more info.

Cheers.

A guess, but it could be a Peanut worm

I looked up peanut worms now, but their body shape is very different

The 2 eyes (or could be the head) is very prominent - black in colour

Look up Epitoke worm or errantiate polychaete worm (same thing but latin name)

May be a bit big or an epitoke, but it could well be an insect of sorts. Last year I actually had an insect larvae swim in my tank, up to the surface and hatch. It dried its wings and flew away:eek:sama: .

Needless to say, I was gobsmacked. I have a few pics of it, will see if I can find them.

May be a bit big or an epitoke, but it could well be an insect of sorts. Last year I actually had an insect larvae swim in my tank, up to the surface and hatch. It dried its wings and flew away:eek:sama: .

Needless to say, I was gobsmacked. I have a few pics of it, will see if I can find them.

WHAT ? Got see that

WHAT ? Got see that

Here we go, took a bit of digging. The first pic it can be seen after a fish chased it from the surface and it went deep for cover (at the base of the cerianthid). The second pic is of it when it landed on the curtains. I did not manage to get the camera in time to see it climbing out of its pupae thingy.

PS. Bayls, sorry for seeming to hijack your thread....

10-08-2007010small.jpg

10-08-2007005small.jpg

No problem, that is amazing!
I was wondering when you were going to make an appearance Wee Man! Those things you mentioned seem to have bristles and/or segments. These things were smooth bodied, just like a maggot.

cheers

that thing is so cool!

No problem, that is amazing!
I was wondering when you were going to make an appearance Wee Man! Those things you mentioned seem to have bristles and/or segments. These things were smooth bodied, just like a maggot.

cheers

I'm still sharing puters at home so not been on much, the epitoke was the only thing i could think of that swims about. Oh well i tried:lol:

Neil, is that a waterboatman?

Someone's finger.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Warr, you just made me spill my Shivas!!!!!!!!

nice nennie

Neil, is that a waterboatman?

Have not been able to id it or figure out what it was doing in a marine system. As far as I can tell it is a species of corixia.

Defo not the same as the species in question, but it just goes to show we must have an open mind when it comes to our systems....

Back
Top Bottom