Here we Go

Reaction score
Hi there all,
I have always dreamed of having a decent size tank and I am finally glad to say that I have arrived, thanks to the help from Adriaan De Beer. I will most probably be asking for some advise going forward with my new adventure and l;ook forward to all the advise I can get. (tank is 6 months old)
Tank Specs: Approx 500 Gallons
Lighting: 4X 54w T5
4X 39w T5
2X 150w MH 10 000k
1X 250w MH 12 000k

Water Paramters:
Salinity: 1025
PH: 8.1
Alkalinity: 10
Temp: 26 - 27.5 Degrees C
Ca: 420ppm
Phosphates: 0.03

Question: I am currently experiencing an algae problem where the sand and the rocks get covered in this long green / red algae, how do I get rid of this

welcometomasa

Merlin

Wow, 1900 litres very nice.

"Red Algae" is probably Cynao Bacteria, generally fueled by the phosphates. You need to get that down to 0. Use liquid Phoshate remover or a phosphate reactor.

What are your Nitrite and Nitrate levels ? How much livestock do you have.

How often do you feed ?

I reckon pictures will really help.

Try bringing the temp down a degree or 2 and cutting back a bit on the lighting while fighting algae. (also depending on the livestock health maybe cut down on feeding a bit and try minimise wasted food).

The problem with phosphate readings is by the time you test the water the phosphates have usually already beed used up by the algae taking over. Do you have a DSB or phosphate reactor?

Also what do you have in regards to flow in the tank?

Welcome Merlin, sounds like you're off to a very good start.

Would love to see some pics of your system, especially the algae so we can identify it correctly.

What pumps do you have in the tank to assist with waterflow?

Welcome to the forum Merlin, your tank is probably going through "new tank syndrome" work on water quality, this will be your best way of ridding hair algae from your tank.

Back
Top Bottom