Henks cube v2.0

Awesome piece of equipment makes life a bit easier :).

Just to show I am still around

IMG_1432.JPG

A quick question to the reefing community

For the three major elements (alk, ca and mg) have you experienced better coral health by using commercial products vs diy supplements?

I look forward to your views

im using DIY cal,mag, buff and kalk and i can say i have had wavering results, (i do use tapwater for top up which i believe has been a problem in my system aswell). but i am opting to go for aquaforest supps and RO water and hoping to see an improvement. my stuff looks ok but i feel it could deffinatley do better and open up more.

Jy weet hoe ek voel oor die pers emmertjies.....net fancy packaging en photoshoped pics of hulle facebook page. DIY (Randy se recipe) is in my opinion mar nogsteeds die beste en cheapste option.

I am using DIY, while I do not know if it has positive or negative results compared to the expensive stuff...I do know it enables me to save cash and use that money on the tank in other beneficial ways.

Reactions: JS
I use DIY for all my dosing. Get good growth out of my corals. IMO lighting, waterflow and feeding plays a big part in coral health and growth as well, al these things work together

Then I guess its time to reassess my filtration and where I want to go with the tank

Will stick with the diy additives and perhaps reintroduce a water change once a month

Then I guess its time to reassess my filtration and where I want to go with the tank

Will stick with the diy additives and perhaps reintroduce a water change once a month

That is the same approach I have with my setup. I do a 25ish % waterchange before and after offshore trips, then the tank runs for multiple months on chaeto and diy diy do.

I had to introduce the waterchanges as my previous attempt was over run by gha.

So here is a full tank shot
0e7078ae-0b9f-4720-b4a3-0a60f70148c3.jpg

I did some testing today

Salanity 1.027
Alk 9.0
Ca 420

These numbers have been relatively stable over the last few months.

You can clearly see the algae on the sand bed, which I suspect is due to the fact that my ro filters needs to be replaced.

So the plan of action
- replace Ro filters (will contact @TheWaterboy on Monday for quality products)
- look at doing a 50L waterchange once the new filters are in

If that does not help I will consider implementing a refugium and cease with carbon dosing

Obviously any input would be appreciated

Back
Top Bottom