henk

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by henk, 10 Sep 2009.

1. henk

henk

Good morning everyone.I am bussy building a sump for my tank.225L is in the main tank.How big must the skimmer be.And the pump thats returning the water to the main tank.How many litres per hour? Dont want to by the wrong stuff.Thanks:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hermanus

Hermanus

Hi Henk How big is your sump (total water volume) and do you have DSB? you don't want more than 4- 5 times total water volume over the DSB so let say sump is for example 100l you have 325L in system. So return pump depending on how high it must pump must do 1500L/H or 2000L/H. Skimmer I think a reeftek ts1 or orca 80 with bubble plate will do the job. skimmer ratted at 400L will be good.Just My opinion;)

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Henk
    As Hermanus mentioned. The TS1 will do the job. However my choice aswell as most other reefers, prefer buying a skimmer atleast double the tank water volume. Just incase you end up under-skimming or eventually take the SPS route.
    My choice will be a Reeftek TS2.

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

:thumbup: - very good skimmers for the price - rated 750litres

6. Pugsly

Pugsly

with regards to return pumps (from sump to DT) you must look at having a pump that is 4x your volume. Not sure how much your sump volume is, but with your DT at 225, then 225 x 4 = 900 so then I would go with a 1000lph pump to assist with head loss.

Sump must have a easy flow through it, not fast at all.
    Your DT on the other hand must have around 40x turn over (in your case 9000lph turnover)
    with regards to protein skimmers - bigger is better and never skimp on this item - it is probably the most important item you will ever buy for your tank. The reef octopus TS1 will be just fine for your system. But the TS2 would be great. TS2 will be a little over kill but if you ever upgrade you will have it!

7. FransSny

FransSny

I'm with everybody on this i prefer an "overrated" skimmer rather than just one that "does the job". But it also comes down to your budget, space available etc

Recent Posts