Heniochus in a Reef Tank

Would you keep a heniochus in a reef tank?

• Yes, without a doubt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No never!

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Yes, if the tank was very large

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Yes, with caution

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Our LFS got in 3 Heniochus acuminatus yesterday and i really want one, said he will hold on to it for me until Monday. The Question is though, how reef safe are these? And would any of you risk one in your reef tank? I have spoken to 4 ppl 3 have had no problems with them nipping corals and one has. I have also read mixed articles on them some saying definately not reef safe while others saying they are more on the lines of dwarf angels where it all depends on the individual.

12974a2015a348667.jpg

im the guy who said no:razz:, there was another species that was claimed to be a safer bet, there is a thread somewhere here on MASA about it.. as for the species suggested, i have had 2 in a 4ft full of coral and my star polyps dident open untill about a week after i removed them. factors to take into consideration in my experience are that the fish were "freshly" caught so had not been introduced to prepared foods.. perahps things may have been different if they were already feeding.. i dont really want to say no as there are instances where it can be done i do after all have a moorish that hasnt touched a single coral or newly introduced tubeworms.. so its up to you buck..

Hi Kunhardt - they are part of the butterfly fish family.
And as such - are they more like butterfly fish, than pygmy angels....

So what you are saying is being of the butterfly family they are more than likely going to have a go at my corals and a slight chance they may not, where as a pygmy angel more than likely wouldnt but may? lol i think i have even confused myself there.

im the guy who said no:razz:, there was another species that was claimed to be a safer bet, there is a thread somewhere here on MASA about it.. as for the species suggested, i have had 2 in a 4ft full of coral and my star polyps dident open untill about a week after i removed them. factors to take into consideration in my experience are that the fish were "freshly" caught so had not been introduced to prepared foods.. perahps things may have been different if they were already feeding.. i dont really want to say no as there are instances where it can be done i do after all have a moorish that hasnt touched a single coral or newly introduced tubeworms.. so its up to you buck..

Yes you were the one who said no! :p

My theory was that if it is taking prepared foods and i am giving it enough to eat its not going to look to the corals as a source of food. But even thats a gamble i guess.

it depends. i said with caution. i believe the same as les. you can condition some fish off of corals if you can get them eating properly on prepared foods before they go in and then feed them enough while in the dt so there is no need to eat your corals.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark you know how i feel just not prepared to pay for a fish that i can catch myself, otherwise if it doesnt work out we can rescape your tank bud.

Ya mark seriously dale and i caught 3 in one trip to TK dude just wait awhile dude we can go togerther dude

ha haanother contraversial topic.. makes for good debate.. im saying no but have voted with caution in light of my moorish success.. i have gone through about 20 moorish and only have had 2 that were reef safe in my experience.. you may be lucky but you may not be.. personally i feel you should be looking as smaller fish for your system, a moorish will grow close to the size of the palm of your hand in about 2 years or less if consitions are right..

ha haanother contraversial topic.. makes for good debate.. im saying no but have voted with caution in light of my moorish success.. i have gone through about 20 moorish and only have had 2 that were reef safe in my experience.. you may be lucky but you may not be.. personally i feel you should be looking as smaller fish for your system, a moorish will grow close to the size of the palm of your hand in about 2 years or less if consitions are right..

Why is it that some butterflies are "reef safe" and others not? Take CB and Moorish, they are both considered pretty safe to put in a reef tank while other butterflies aren't? Heniochus is rated at a 50 gallon tank, which is what mine is, so thought in that regard i was pretty safe i just worry about my corals.

CB and longnose are safer choices as they seem to eat more inamongst the corals rather than the coral itself. trifasciatus and meyeri i amongs a few are totaly coral eaters and will focus on just that.. henis (and ideally all fish) should be kept in a system of 1000lt min due to its rapid growth, they become very tame and very large and the bigger systems will allow for less stress and more stability..

its also a bit of hit and miss, i have tried lunula, auriga, vagabond, burnii and a mass of other butterflies including heniochus with the same result.. damage to coral to the extent of it not opening untill the "offerning" fish was removed

Back
Top Bottom