Helpful Posts

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by viper357, 25 Mar 2011.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

What do you guys and gals think of implementing an individual post rating system, whereby members can vote or rather click on a post indicating that it is a helpful post? It may help a lot of newbies and also members that don't post to see which answers in a thread are rated as being good answers? We can have positive and negative ratings but I don't think we should allow negative ratings as I doubt anybody wants to have their posts being rated as bad, whereas having your post rated as being helpful may encourage guys to make longer and better posts or provide more information. It is also integrated into the rep system so the more your posts get rated the higher your rep will go.

Or will the whole thing just pi$$ people off? Or maybe it will ostracise some members?

Your thoughts everyone?

Here is an example of what it will look like in the posts.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

mmm Awesome idea although the only thing is the debate might come up as to whether the post is only applicable concerning that thread or as a general rule of thumb ... Then I can see some tempers flying as all the advice given on any forum needs to be taken with a pinch of sea salt!!!!!:lol: Maybe we should try it out and if things get out of hand and the mods have to keep cleaning up like in some threads then just pull the plug on it .... I would think one would need to have a few categories to seperate these "helpfull" posts ... maybe Hardware, Livestock, General maintanance .....

4. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Yeah, that's another thing I was thinking about, there are so many different methods and different ways to do things that if just one post gets voted for it might be seen that that post is the only way to do something, whereas other posts that are also right may not get voted on so may get ignored, I dunno, maybe this is not such a good idea?

5. Mastazee

Mastazee

Cool idea, i do not think the rating should stop at the count of 10 i think it should just carry on

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Eish man. Does only one brother need to vote for the post, or all members? Hmmm....

7. Dane

Dane

I think its a cool function, but maybe a bit too much overlap with the rep system? Thats how I judged posts when I was first on the forum.

8. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

i think it can go TU in a split second. Look at the way Dane and David got attacked for giving their educated inputs in that thread yesterday....

9. Annoying

Annoying

I think it's a great idea of implementing this technique to help newbies, but as far as the rep is concerned I think that this will work unfairly. I'm with Dean on this statement, the truth is (If I understand correctly on how the rep would work), is that you would get rep points even when you didn't really contribute much to a statement. I think the rep should remain the same but the rating would work amazingly for newbs. Just my opinion...

Recent Posts