Help !!!!!!!!!!

ml

Reaction score
HI

My thermometer just broke what thas it mean for my inverts?

PLEASE HELP FAST

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi ML - is it one of those glass thermometers?

Don't worry - short term - no problems.... long term - you could have the tiny little iron balls start rusting.....

So - get yourself a nice strong magnet (like an old impeller from a pump), and put your hand in the tank, and very slowly drag the magnet over the substrate.... this should pick up MOST of the tiny metal / iron balls.....

Repeat this if necessary...

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Mike - the glass thermometers that we get here do not contain mercury - rather a different fluid - red.... like the toys you get at the "Gadget Shop" in the UK. You know - the one where they say that you can measure your "love for someone"? You hold the glass toy in your hand, and the red (mostly) fluid rises to the top through a whirly glass pipe on the inside....

THAT type of fluid.... not mercury....

BUT - what I think has happened, is that the OUTER casing of the glass thermometer broke, not the inner tiny pipe containing this red fluid.....

I Dunno what this fluid is called exactly....

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Mike - the glass thermometers that we get here do not contain mercury - rather a different fluid - red.... like the toys you get at the "Gadget Shop" in the UK. You know - the one where they say that you can measure your "love for someone"? You hold the glass toy in your hand, and the red (mostly) fluid rises to the top through a whirly glass pipe on the inside....

THAT type of fluid.... not mercury....

BUT - what I think has happened, is that the OUTER casing of the glass thermometer broke, not the inner tiny pipe containing this red fluid.....

I Dunno what this fluid is called exactly....
That would be an alcohol then

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
If so, wouldn't "water conditioner" help neutralise it?
no mercury is evil, you are reccommended not to vacuum liquid mercury if you spill it as the airborne particles can affect your lungs - so i read recently anyway.

Reaction score
had it happen in my nano about a year anda half ago, my nenny died, but my red tube broke as well, id do waterchanges as a matter of course

Reaction score
If it's a mercury thermometer you should seriously consider the removal of all your livestock and live rock as a matter of urgency, and then replace all your sand and filter cartridges (if any...). Also, run activated carbon 24/7 and replace that every second day.

If it's a red alcohol thermometer, just do a few 20% water changes for a week or so and run carbon. Also, try to remove the metal balls, if any, as previously suggested.

Good luck.
Hennie

Reaction score
At least if your fish all go mad ul know it was mercury

ml

Reaction score
{chaetomorpha is my choice}

What is that I have calapia in my tank with a algea skrapper

Mekaeel

Reaction score
{chaetomorpha is my choice}

What is that I have calapia in my tank with a algea skrapper
Chaetomorpha AKA Chaeto is also a macro algea. But it doesnt go sexual like what Calupera does. If you can get your hands on some from a reefer in your area, intoduce it to your system.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Chaeto ;)