Help

Reaction score
hi there, im new to marine aquaruims, hav a 250l tank , use eheim canister filter, bout 5 clark clowns and 1 damsil, my problem is with the alge the hairy one, tryed everything, got 4 hermit crabs, some one told me that i need to get a sump?
please help

Reaction score
Hey Burt, take a look around the beginners threads, many people are going through the same problem as you. Should find some helpful tips there

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Burt, can you give us some more details of your system? do you have liverock? a skimmer? do you use R/O, natural sea water or tap water? do you run a phosphate remover?

Sumps are handy, but not necessary, they certainly help in hiding all the ugly equipment and increase water volume, but on their own they won't help much in removing hair algae.

Reaction score
thanks, skimmer, have liferock but not much bout 10kg,use sea water and ro. use phosgaurd

Reaction score
Maybe try post a piture of your system so the guys can get a better knowledge of the layout of your tank

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
also the filter is a 2222 eheim, should i get a bigger one?
You have a phosphate problem i think, how often do you change the phosguard? how much do you feed? what do you feed? what area do you get your sea water from?

Reaction score
use to hav a 100l tank used tapwater and salt mix, coz of the tapwater all my rocks was covered ith alge, now im just using seawater, from the shore, befor it goes in the tank i filtrate the new water first. food i use is sera gvg mix marin and sera granumarin, i feed them twice a day, not much, phosgaurd once a month bout 250grams

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
use to hav a 100l tank used tapwater and salt mix, coz of the tapwater all my rocks was covered ith alge, now im just using seawater, from the shore, befor it goes in the tank i filtrate the new water first. food i use is sera gvg mix marin and sera granumarin, i feed them twice a day, not much, phosgaurd once a month bout 250grams
I would imagine that the liverock has absorbed the phosphates from the tap water and is slowly releasing them, feeding the hair algae, it may be best to start again, or remove one or two rocks at a time and boil them in R/O, you probably need more liver rock anyway, 10kgs isn't enough for 250lts, you will need more like 40kgs really/

Reaction score
how do you boil the rocks, ? with or without lighting? use any salt mix? thanks for youre time and help

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
how do you boil the rocks, ? with or without lighting? use any salt mix? thanks for youre time and help
Stick them in a large pot of R/O water and put them on the gas cooker (when the wife is out);)

Reaction score
had a look , very good. i love it, later on when i get al my stuf 100% im going for a reef tank, maybe you can help me with the setup?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
had a look , very good. i love it, later on when i get al my stuf 100% im going for a reef tank, maybe you can help me with the setup?
Cheers,

That's what we're here for, we can help you all the way through.:)