Help

Discussion in 'New Members' started by TKD, 20 Oct 2011.

1. TKD

TKD

Hello, TKD here.

I signed up some time back when i was getting going to get some info on what not to do. My system is now up and running for about 6 months and i have had only two problems. One was that everything was going well until i got a shipment of fish about two months back and a few days later i lost a fish a day, for 8 days! The weird thing is my water was completely free from any common problems. My inverts and corals didnt and still havent shown any signs of irretation or discomfort, in fact they are doing really well!

Only two clowns and my coral beauty servived the week long onslaught of death!

Any Ideas?

The 2cnd problem is of less impact but still a concern for me, I have two anemones, one radianthis and one bubble. the bubble has moved into and under my rockwork wich is supported by a plastic framework. it has been there for some time now, and there is not much light if any in there and i can only see a small part of it. It moves around under there but i am unable to feed it!

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the valuable info from everyone...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ScottK

ScottK

Some more information on your setup and parameters would be helpful.

4. Boegie

Boegie

Very welcome.

5. seank

seank

Hello TDK, and welcome to MASA.
    I feel for ,loosing fish, something I used to take for granted (buy fish and introduce them directly into the display tank upon arrival), but I read a lot lately of people loosing livestock when new livestock have been introduced. Will definitely think of setting up a quarentene tank and put the fish in there for a week or 2 before introducing them to the display tank. It is as if shipments are getting worse and worse since last I bought fish.... Sad though.
    Wrt your nennies, give @Anemone a buzz ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Braco

Braco

Welcome..

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA. In order for us to help you with the right advice, we need the right info on your setup. We need to know basically the following:

How big the system is?
    What filtration are you running?
    Do you have a skimmer?
    What live stock do you have?
    How many fish did you introduce at once?
    What are the water parameters?

Temp
    Salinity
    Ammonia
    Nitrite
    Nitrate
    kH
    pH
    Calcium
    Magnesium

(and here I mean the actual parameters in numbers, taken with test kits that has not expired and posted here. Please don't just say all seems ok, as some parameters will affect fish but not corals and visa versa)

We can only help if we know the exact circumstances the live stock is/were in.

8. TKD

TKD Thread Starter

Parameters

Set up is fairly simple in comparrison to what i have read about...but here goes.

My tank is 1300x800x800, my sump cosists of four chambers each 120l all gravity fed.I have nothing in the first chamber other than phosphate remover. next chamber is aragonite sand bed. next chamber live rock( about 50kgs) and last chamber holds my return pump(4500l p/h) and protien skimmer x2. I have a air blower as well. the water returns through a UV light that i run post water changers for 48 hours.
    Lighting is a combination of LED and T5 florecents x 6 4foots

Parameters are all not worth even testing(amonia,nitrites and nitrates) Calcium ranges between 400 and 410ppm, salinity 1.026 allways and PH 8.3

I tested regularly in the begining but now i only check PH evry other week.

You have any ideas?

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Why? With all those fish that died obviously something must be wrong here.

10. TKD

TKD Thread Starter

I thought so to and took my water to to independant hobists and the water was in better condition than their own. The corals and shrimps anemones have shown no ill effects due in this time.

11. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Did you add the fish all at once as this could have caused an amonia spike for a few days while the bacteria population played catch up. IMO amonia is far more toxic to fish than it is to corals and anemones.

12. TKD

TKD Thread Starter

The fish were added over 3 days and i monitored the water for the week while the fish were dying...There was no sign of any spikes in amonia or anything else. I also do water changes prior to adding stock and there after, about a week apart.

The fish showd no signs of being ill and when taken out they were still healthy looking apart from colour loss, no sign of deteriation...

13. TKD

TKD Thread Starter

Hi there... My system is 1200l
    I have four filter chambers first is empety,2cnd is arragonite sand bed and 3rd is live rock(50kgs) and the 4th is empety except for the 2x skimmers and return pump. water returns through a uv which i run after water changes.
    Temp is a consistant 25 degree's and salinity is between 1.024 and 1.026
    ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are almost undetectable.
    Kh is a consistant 10
    ph is always 8.3 (i havent recalibrated mypen for some time now but sure it is still fine)
    Calcium is 410ppm

I have only got soft corals, zoanthids, leathers(3 pins) hairy mushrooms x2 and 2x anemones 1x radianthis and 1x bubble and also one rock of orange ricordia's
    fish left are 1x coral beauty and two clowns...

Other info you may need...6x 4ft t5 tubes and blue led combo for night, carbon and phosphate remover. return pump is 4500l/h and my tank is stocked with a mix of live rock and rock that was dived out and then left for three months to die, then pressure washed. arraganite and shale mix for the tank substrate(not much, only about 5kgs in total. I run a reverse flow so the return water is pumped the a network of piping at the botom and creates an upward flow, less detritus gets to settle in the tank.
    thats about all i can think of for now... thank you for trying to help, your thoughts will be great.

14. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I'm a Noob still..so I could be totally wrong in asking the question I'm about to ask, but I just happened to stumble across this Thread and I just thought that maybe it could be relevant..:blush: Is it possible that you'r fish might have needed more time with you'r Acclimate..? Asking this as this Thread I read, the Reefer KNEW that the LFS Salinity was WAY lower than his Tank Salinity and Acclimate his fish a bit longer...say 2hrs I think...so could it be possible that you experienced this daily loss due to the fact that the Salinity of the LFS and you'r Tank was vastly different..? And it was a shock/stress to you'r Fishes...:blush:

15. Anemone

Anemone

Why is the salinity changing from 1.024 to 1.026? How fast is this change?

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Why is your filtration in reverse?
    Should be mechanical - biological - chemical
    your phosphate remover will block up or be used up a lot faster.

How deep is the sand bed?

And protein skimmer, what make and what are the specifications?

And adding a lot of fish over 3 days are the same as adding them all together. Bacteria load in your tank is not there to be able to handle that sudden shit load.

Recent Posts