Help!!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by sarz, 13 Jun 2010.

1. sarz

sarz

Hi All...
    :wave2:
    I im a small scale tropical fish breeder in Zimbabwe and think its time for me to evolve to marine. Is it possible to have a marine tank in a land locked country? What would i need to start a very basic and relatively cheap tank? I dont want to pay out a lot to start, untill ive got the hang of things and know that im not just going to murder the poor creatures.:(

How does one transport marine life?

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks
    Sarz:1:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Welcome buddy :) Marine tanks are more expensive than freshwater but the key to success is research

4. sarz

sarz Thread Starter

Thanks, i like that! Do you know of any good websites that i could try?

5. amalick

amalick

Yes, THis one LOL

6. amalick

amalick

Yes, this This web Site.

And it is completely possible to keep marines if you are "landlocked". You just need to mix on sea water. Its a lot more complex that that so happy reading on this site and you will discover how

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Welcome sarz ... Great to have another Zim "body" .. You have to get hold of Scubaninja ... He is from your neck of the woods but is studying in Durbz ... But if he is partying too much (just finished writing exams) dont we'll help you get an awesome setup going ... What tank size are you looking at and what is your wish list ... corals and fish or fish only?

8. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi sarz, and WELCOME to MASA, and hopefully to this hobby.

Keeping a marine tank inland is not very much more difficult than keeping one at the coast, IF one can get hold of the equipment, salt, etc. I suspect that importing equipment, salt, etc. into Zimbabwe might be a bit more difficult than what it is to get stuff here in South Africa, but the thing which worries me the most is getting your livestock through your customs in a short enough time to keep everything alive.

Hennie

9. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hi Sarz, where about are you in Zim? Harare? If so it might be possible. I spoke to Lanzo ( from Dorry Pets) some time ago to see if he can send to zim and if i remember correctly, he said yes, but i dont know what will happen about customs etc. I'm sure if you called the airport(if you could ever get hold of them) and found out about regulations and stuff.

You will need to make RO water for topping up after evaporation, to keep your salinity constant. You cant use normal tap water or borehole water. There are some stuff you will need that i think you can get in zim, trying to remember if i have seen Calcium Hydroxide in the chemists, have you? I think you could do it, if you kept hardy Fish Only for a start to get the feel of everything and sort out all the weening problems then you can try for corals.

10. lIghty

lIghty

Welcome Sarz

Stu, you could alway smuggle some lifestock over the border, would they even check LOL

11. scubaninja

scubaninja

i fly home, and they would ask questions when they see this moving skeleton on the x-ray:p small pieces of equipment are fine though

12. robertkukla

robertkukla

Welcome to MASA

13. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

14. sarz

sarz Thread Starter

Thanks all

Heya All !!! :wave2:

Thanks for the quick and very helpfull replys. Wow i never expected to have so many so quickly.

I'm now itching to get started it doesnt sound as bad as every one makes it out to be. I guess you just have some people that are fishier than others.

Thanks again.
    Here have a beer!!!:peroni::peroni::peroni: Or three.

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, there's some great reading for you below on starting a marine tank ;)

16. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA! Yes it is deffinetley possible to keep marines in a landlocked country! I live in Limpopo and the closest drive to the ocean is 7 hours away. Just like everyone else said you can keep the tank with synthetic salt and with all the equipment. You can always smuggle some lifestock with a cooler bag under the seat..:lol:

17. sarz

sarz Thread Starter

Thanks that really gives me hope!!! Woo Hoo!!! Love the fsh!!!:thumbup: Which side of the boarder are you? How long can live stock stay in the cooler bag?

18. scubaninja

scubaninja

if its got oxygen in it and you pack the bag properly about 14 hours.

19. sarz

sarz Thread Starter

Cool beans coz we can do Jhb Hre in about 8-10 Hrs depending on the traffic. Do you know of any good online shops that i can look at to get an idea on pricing? Ive regestered at Dorry but cant login for some reason.

20. scubaninja

scubaninja

Well, i think MOOLIS from PETSTOP has online pricing, and i'm sure the dorry pets website will come online soon. We need to figure out what you are wanting to do though to help you pick the best options cause there is nobody in harare to help if you have an upset.

Do you often go between JHB? If you have battery powered airpumps that helps with the long journeys big time. I know chika does lots transporting with fish etc and uses his airpumps.

21. scubaninja

scubaninja

how is the page browsing going? Did you see the PM? Comes as a pop up of sorts, check the top right of your page and you will see notifications if you have not seen the PM. You on wireless? slow hey? lol

Recent Posts