Help with Zoa

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Kunhardt, 17 Nov 2008.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my green zoanthus? Some of the polyps are white inside and as u can see the one in fronts edges seem to look a bit eaten away.
    All other corals are fine and healthy. Water parameters are fine by the looks of it. Only thing i have added a week ago was some starfish from a rock pool. They dont crawl over it so i dont think they are eating it are they? Frogspawn on the rock above it, but i have never seen sweeper tenticles come out of it.
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

How far is the frogspawn? It could possibly be it's sweeper tentacles stinging the zoa's at night.

4. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

How long have you had the Zoa's and where did you get them from.

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

the frogspawn is on the rock to the left of them, old pic, but basically same position[​IMG]

Dont know if u can tell distance from that though.

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Had them for about a month, got them from the LFS, they used to open up beautifully but over the past week they been closed up and one or two of the middles of those that do partially open are whitened...lost that major green glow about them.

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

If you water perimeters are good, don't worry too much, my new ones are doing sim. Just make sure they have some flow over them.

8. Madreefer

Madreefer

These eat zooanthus and palythoa. It's called a sundial snail. If you have any that might the culprit.
    [​IMG]

9. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Hi, what type of lightning do you run and how many units? I had some polyps that looked almost identical to what you have that needed more light than what my 2x T5's, that i had at the time, could handle.

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Havent seen any of those snails, how big are they? if they small i may have not noticed them.

Lighting at the moment is 2x8w white and 1x10w Blue. giving me 28w of light for 38L of water, a bit low of the light scale of 3w to 1 gallon of water, but not by much. Good thing is i am getting a new 3ft tank next week, so am going to put a lot into lighting on it and it will hopefully perk up my corals.

11. Reneshen

Reneshen

Howsit

Im 100% sure that your lights are too little. If you want to see the electric green you should add more blue light.

Zoas are found in very shallow water in their natural environment. therefore they love bright lite.

Im sure they will do great in the 3ft with better lighting. Good Luck

Recent Posts