Help with Xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Allen, 23 May 2009.

1. Allen

Allen

Good day to everyone!:wave2:

Could someone maybe tell me if this fellow looks like he is doing alright?
    I've got him for sometime now, never had a problem of any sort, but his never multiplied and usually as far as I know corals multiply and grow if they are doing good?

He opens up every day with a long body and his tentacles sometimes stretches far.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Allen - Those are NOT zoanthids, but pulsing Xenia.
    They are looking like they are growing BEAUTIFULLY!

Awesome specimen!

I will change the heading of this thread for you....

4. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

THANKS A MILLION!!
    That was actually a very embarrassing thing to call a xenia a zoas!:whistling: My deepest apologies!!!

5. jacquesb

LOL! No problems, man! Can happen to anyone!

6. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Another thing is that although they still pulsate, it is not nearly as must as it use to be. Usually every two to three seconds a tentacle and now only 10 to 15 seconds.

Is there a reason for this or is it natural?

7. jacquesb

Allen - pulsing xenia only pulse, to force water into their "bodies". If your water flow in your tank is enough to cause water to go into their bodies automatically, then they will not need to pulse.

E.g. In my reeftank, I have +-58000 litres per hour water flow, and my pulsing xenia in this tank do not pulse.

BUT, in my smaller 1.2 metre (300 litre) tank, the little bit of pulsing xenia that I have in there, pulses, because I do not have a lot of water flow in this tank....

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Following this thread seen this coral before and really like pulsing movement! Would love to get some of them - where do get these Allen? - Also anybody in durbs got these for sale? Will be down next week would like to get some:p Have you had any other problems Allen coz would really llloooovvvveee this!

9. X Faktor

X Faktor

Agree, and if you dont have flow on the Xenia, then its a sign for a good old fashioned waterchange...

10. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Bought them from Petstop in pretoria, they usually have them in stock and I must say theirs looks stunning! Never had a problem of any sort with them and enjoy them a hell of a lot!!!!!:thumbup:

11. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input!!!11;)

12. Tony

Tony

Your xenia does look healthy and the reasons for not pulsing a numerous.

The first and most diappointing is that sometimes they just stop for no reason or never pulse to begin with. A lot of guys talk about dirty tank (TANKS HIGH IN NITRATES) as a necessity for keeping xenia but I am keeping them and harversting them in a low nutrient system. I have observed the growth slow down with the lowering of nutrients so the high nutrient system may play a small part put isn't the be all and end all on keeping xenia.

Guys also tout not using carbon but I have found that to be baseless as I regularly change the carbon in my system and haven't found any problems. The problem can lie in the addition of trace elements, especially iodine which skimming and carbon will remove but if things are added regularly via water changes or supplementaiotn this should have no bearing on the keeping of xenia.

Xenia seem to like iodine so regular dosing with this will help.

Elevated p.H of between 8.2-8.4 will help with erratic pulsing which means the tentacles will come together nicely. They like nice swaying flow with the odd blast to remove built up carbons.

And last I have found the most important factor to be light. The more the better

13. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Thanx Tony! I monitor all the things you mentioned very closely. Dose daily with iodine, good lighting and nitrates are a minimum (the od 1 or 2 slip ups sometimes:whistling:). Flow is also a swaying/turbulent motion.

Maybe its like jacquesb says, the flow might be enough for them to slow the pulse?

14. Tony

Tony

One tends not to see the pulse till the powerheads are off. Turn yours off and see what happens

15. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Makes a hell of a deference :thumbup: !! Still not as much as the day I bought them but "darm dis iets":slayer:

16. Anemone

Anemone

I am one that believes Xenia spreads rapidly in dirty water. Not being physically able to do a water change for a few months was proof enough for me.

17. Tony

Tony

Brenda they can do well in a dirty system but they don't need it for survival as a lot of guys think. I have noticed a slow down in my growth now that I have low nutrients. A few months ago I was harvesting the stuff like mad but not so much now

18. Anemone

Anemone

I agree it is not a requirement for survival. My system is much cleaner now, and the Xenia is doing well, but not spreading as rapidly as it did. I liked the rapidly spreading Xenia, but I like the cleaner tank a whole lot better. :biggrin:

19. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

That is very interesting:032: I would have thought that the better the condition of the water the more they will grow.

I'll also rather have a cleaner tank, than having a booming xenia!

Thanks You Guys!:yeahdude:

20. chikaboo

chikaboo

Even more interesting is the fact that they pulse more if the flow is lower! So lets see if I'm getting this right : corals love tons of water flowing around them but pulsing xenia tends not to "pulse" as much if the flow is high - also if water is high in nutrients the they also "pulse" more! So now we must look for "non" pulsing xenia's;)

21. Anemone

Anemone

Not all coral love tons of flow.

Recent Posts