Help with Waterboy RO unit

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Parraman, 13 Mar 2013.

1. Parraman

Parraman

[​IMG]

Which one of the tubes is the RO water?
    The hole unit was disassembled.
    Most guys use the valve to indicate which one is the waste water but remember that it was allso taken off.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

I don't actually know, will have to have a look at mine when I get home, going purely on the colour of the tubes assuming this hasn't changed and Marco sets them all up the same the blue tube is the waste on my unit.

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

On the white RO cartridge the blue pipe is the good RO water. The yellow cartridge looks like a DI pod or remineraliser. The white pipe should go to a flow valve or 4 way switch.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a picture from a but further away showing all connections will be easier to work with.

6. Parraman

Parraman Thread Starter

So we are sure that the blue pipe is where the ro water will comeout?
    Just remember that i fitted the tubes.

7. dickw

dickw

From your picture ,that is correct, the blue is RO outlet.
    The white pipe must be connected to a pressure valve to create sufficient pressure in the membrane otherwise you going to get very high "waste" water and very little RO.

Good luck made same error when starting my 2nd hand unit.

8. Parraman

Parraman Thread Starter

Yea but im still not sure if the blue tube is in the right outlet.
    How do you know which tube goes in which outlet if all the tubes were pulled out?
    Just for clarity i'm talking about the third chamber.

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

10. trad

I'll look at my unit this evening to confirm.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2013
  11. dickw

dickw

the RO connection is in the centre of the cannister(blue pipe in your pic) and waste is offset to side of the base (white in your pic)

Confirmed off my unit (Also waterboy). Unfortunately cant upload pic for you.

Word of warning -If unit is outside and gets a lot of diect sun pipes degrade and crack after a while.

Parraman likes this.
  12. Parraman

Parraman Thread Starter

Thanks
    Nah its in my bathroom :tt2:
    Think the pressure is just very high.

13. dickw

dickw

My system connected direct to Dbn mains supply so 6 bar roughly inlet pressure.

My waste restrictor is marked 300 (assume Kpa) and this gives roughly 50/50 RO/waste ratio which I understand is good.

14. trad

Just checked my water boy ro and in your pic it's connected correctly

15. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

hello, sorry, i have not been on the forum for awhile
    lol...like i told you via email yesterday....blue pipe is r.o.but thats not one of our di-chambers (assuming) thats what it is.......
    you said you had more r.o.coming out than waste??....not possible unless you have a very poor quality membrane inside there or your membrane is blown.....

some funny anwsers givin here ....include installing a 4 way shut off valve on your waste line??? thats un-heard off and some one said something about installing a pressure valve on the waste line to increase pressure on the membrane???......
    i think you meant a flow restrictor.....but the principle you trying to get across is right;)

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Well you are hearing it from me. If the waste water reservoir is full the 4 way switch shuts down the RO unit till it can be attended to. It is all about conservation. right.;)

Please explain and clarify your "funny answers" insinuation as i am inclined to feel that they are directed at me.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2013
  18. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

well since you asking. and it was not my intention to bring to the forums attention who gave misleading info,

you state in the quoted post that the "white" pipe is to be connected to a 4 way shut off valve???.....that being the waste pipe??.......since its all about conservation right;)....

well........
    im sorry to have to correct you directly like this ...but you have now asked me to as you felt my post was directed at you.....which it indirectly was in a gentleman like manner....

so lets do this then......

a 4 way shut off valve is a manual shut off system that acts on a piston and diaphram type method......it builds up pressure from one side and then pushes a piston like a switch to shut off the other side....

the correct way to install such a devise on a r.o.system is to

A) connect the mains water comming into the r.o.unit on the in....then have the pipe come out and feed the r.o.unit and then have the r.o.water outlet connect on the other in and have it come out.

b) second option and most commonly used option is to have the water comming from the pre-filters come into the 4 way shut off valve, then come out feed the membrane inlet and have the r.o.outlet feed the second inlet on the valve

both ways shut off water that feeds the membrane, thus stopping the system (and conserving water when not in use;))

connecting it to the White pipe as you said.....that being the waste line........
    the unit will never build up pressure to "click over" and shut the system down as the waste is always open....unless you add a float on the waste....???which again would land up damaging the system.....so you would constantly be WASTING WATER!!!
    if for some miricle it did close...ie a float was installed on the waste?, you would constantly be adding reverse pressure on the membrane every time it did "shut down" which would hammer the membrane and in time cause the membrane to have a constantina effect...thus damaging it......again....i cant see why someone would put a float on the waste reservoir...you say in order to conserve....but whats the point if you will never produce the amount of product water you want???

some diagrams if you would like to study them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

correct me if im wrong....but i dont see any 4 way valves connected to the waste?

but again....who im i to correct you?

Last edited: 15 Mar 2013
  19. Parraman

Parraman Thread Starter

Thanks waterboy.
    All the membranes are new.
    It still comes out quite strong without the resin.
    There is n huge difference in flow if i allso take the flow restrictor of but the RO coming out still isnt that little.

20. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

feel free to call me on 082 879 3943 i feel its a bit difficult trying to explain things like this online.......
    other wise stick the unit in a box....courier it to me and ill take a look for you...no charge
    however i must state that the unit seems to have parts that are not ours.....i will have to check it up and let you know what is giving you issues.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2013
  21. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Marco it is not uncommon to install a four way switch to the waste line of an RO unit. As you say the switch is controlled by a float valve that switches off when the waste water reservoir is full. This waste water is then passed through the RO unit a second time. The waste water is gravity feed through a booster pump to the RO unit. I know that your tsunami unit employs additional membranes on the waste water side that reduces the waste water considerably. By passing the waste water through a RO unit a second time reduces the total water wasted. And yes it does reduce the lifespan of the RO membrane.

This could be construed as a means to sell more membranes. But quite honestly the cost of a new membrane far outweighs the cost on the water wasted.

Recent Posts