Help with water parameters

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Giepie, 7 Sep 2009.

1. Giepie

Giepie

Hi all
    I've been keeping a strict eye on my water parameters for the past few moths (being a beginner it's the first obvious thing to check).

My parameters is as follows:
    Amonia - 0
    Nitrate - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    SG - 1023
    Phosphate - 0.1 (down from 1.0 6 weeks ago)
    but the problem one is: KH - 190?

I don't know if I read the chart correct, but it tells me to multiply the number of drops added by 10 to get my reading...

The startpoint (first drop) will give me a blue color and I must keep adding a drop (and shake the test tube well) before adding another drop and must stop when my test tube have a yellow color. Well, I did this over the weekend and counted 19 drops... Shall I check the KH on my RO or must I just do a massive water change with seawater I get from 2oceans aquarium?

Any help will be appreciated

ps I'm running a FOWLR system (1m X 300 X 350: 100L DT) - Sump (450 X 250 X 300: 50L) - Lighting: 2 X T8 White and 1 X T5 blue

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. inflames

inflames

Hi Giepie,

What test are you using (what make) I really doubt that it is right..dKH of 190 is impossible...could be 19 though...I overdosed with Bi-carb once and went to 21...oops!! So 19 could be right, but then you would need to stuffed up like I did!

Giepie likes this.
  4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

What does your alkalinity test kit measure the results as, ppm, dKH or meq/l ?

If it measures in ppm then a converted reading of 190 will give you a dKH of 10.64 which is fine.

Giepie likes this.
  5. Tony

Tony

It sounds more like 19 but let us know which test you used so we can help you along

Giepie likes this.
  6. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, inflames... I'll phone home because I can't recall the make... I'm going to kick myself when I phone home & get the answer... it's on the tip of my tounge...

Question on your reply (but pleez, I'm a beginner and could be 99% wrong): If you overdose on bicarb, shouldn't your Ph go thru the roof? When I use Bi carb, I dilute a quarter teaspoon per 100L and check in 4 hours time... I don't want to overdose or shock my livestock, so I'll rather mix additives slowly...

7. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

I'll know as soon as I get feedback from home - Just made the call and I'm sitting & waiting for all the answers... but I think it's ppm...

8. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Right, got what I wanted: Nutrafin & meg/L (Me = wrong... again...)

ps Sorry for taking so long to reply after posting a question, but I don't have a pc @ home, and here at work it's been a hectic few days...

9. inflames

inflames

Hi Giepie,

Alk of anything over 7 and under 12 is fine! Natural Sea water is 7, I try to run mine at about 9 or 10 as it helps to get rid of cyno bacteria. I am not 100% sure about ones PH, What I do know is that PH, Calcium and Alk are all interlinked, so I would assume that a drastic increase in dKh would change PH, by how much I am not sure!

On your dosing regime...you may need to up that..but it depends on your consumption. so I really dont think you are overdosing at 1/4 teaspoon per 100litres. I personally add 2 or 3 teapoons at once, once a week. my total volume is about 330 litres. So I am adding a teaspoon (heaped) per 100litres!

It's easy to work out consumption though! Test what is your level. Add say 1 teaspoon bi-carb. Test 3 days later, and then 3 days later again. If your Alk went (as an example) from 7(day 1) to 9(day 3) to 7(day6). you can deduct that 1 teaspoons raise your ALK from 7 to 9 for 3 days and then gets used up. So I would then add 1 teaspoons per week. This would maintain an Alk level of about 8 (from the previous level of 7). Remember if you want to increase it and then maintain it you could do this again and again untill you reach the desired level!

Hope this helps... rule of thumb, don't add what you cant test for. I would also suggest getting the TM Alk test...allot easier IMO to use. Hope this helps!

Last edited: 10 Sep 2009
  10. viper357

Ok, something is wrong somewhere, either the test kit is faulty (Nutrafin kits are apparently not one of the best) or you are reading the instructions wrong, I can't help much more as I have never used a Nutrafin kit.

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

The best would be to borrow another reefer's kH kit or ask someone to come test for you. Don't do or dose anything unless double checked as you are already unsure ;)

Giepie likes this.
  12. inflames

inflames

Agreed with Viper and tobes on both points! Try and get a proper test done before continueing with any dosing, and get an accurate test..Tropic Marine Alk is good:thumbup:.

Only about R150 depending on where you buy it! Check out one of the sponsors

13. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

I spoke to Ashraf today as well and he volunteered to check my water for me, must bring him a sample to work tomorrow... He's a real life-saver at times

If Nutrafin isn't very reliable, then I have a next huge problem... All my testkits are Nutrafin...:cursing:

But thanks for all the input so far - will let you's know what the outcome is as soon as Ashraf get back to me...

14. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

What I can do is to scan the instructions and post it as part of this thread - Maybe I'm reading it wrong (99% possibility) or I'm understanding the conversion wrong.

15. viper357

Yeah go for it.

16. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

PM me then we can arrange that i come and take your parameters with my test kit over the weekend...

Giepie likes this.
  17. amalick

amalick

I will bring my test kit to work, we can check 1st thing in the mornin then you will have your answer. Bring about 20ml of water for me to test with.

viper357 and Giepie like this.
  18. amalick

amalick

If for some warped reason his dkh is actually 19:(. Other than the obvious largish water changes over a few days what could he do to get it back to normal levels.

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Ashraf - nothing. The alkalinity will be used up very slowly over a period of 2 to 3 weeks or so. Giepie should definitely stop dosing bicarb for now - as well....

I have also experienced high alkalinity levels at some stage of my tank's existence - this did not kill anything in my tank....

Giepie likes this.
  20. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Ashraf, wot else can I say other than... Thanks bud..

Jacquesb, I only dose with bicarb when my Ph is low and for the past few months it's been stable at 8-8.2...

Right, as promissed yesterday, I scaned the instructions & conversion. But my first priority was to determine if the feedback I got from home was correct. It wasn't... so I can report that the test kit measure in ppm. At least that scare is less...

[​IMG]

Once more - thanks for all the guidence and advice :)(especialy Ashraf who has bacame a mentor of note;)). If it wasn't for him, I'll still be looking at my tank full of guppies, mollies, swords and platties...

21. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Just checked the test kit for an expiry date... ... ...08/31/2008

I'm going to KILL a LFS for this... I'm going to put is b***s in a vice and close it untill he sing the extra high notes... ... Then, I'm going to find a wall and smah my own head thru it for not checking GGGGGRRRRRR

I'll have to check out all my test kits tonight... All baught at the same dealer, but not at the same time...

Recent Posts