help with tank build

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Nadzo, 19 Jun 2013.

1. Nadzo

Nadzo

hey guys.. i need some input on a tank build. i am currently far away from tank builders so i have decided to try building one myself.

the size im looking at is 100cm(L)x90cm(W)x65cm(H). do you guys think 12mm glass will be fine with this. maybe some input on bracing as well. i would not like to drill holes so i am going to get the company drill it before it reaches me. im looking at using 3x50mm piping and a coast to coast overflow (the box design that runs the length of tank). it seems so well designed in my head but so vague as i type it out. can any of you guys help me decide how far down the back glass should the holes be drilled. and what size should the overflow box be? ( i was looking at 12cmx12cm box). the water level should be 3 to 4cm below the height of the complete tank.

oh and the sump will be a 70x70x50 tank. i havent decided completely on a design but i have done some research and have something in mind. for now i would just like to get the holes drilled so i can begin with the DT.

any help will be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yes that sounds fine. 12mm is ok, it would need euro bracing, and you would need a double base of atleast 24mm.
    height is your factor to worry about, 650mm high would need to be braced for peace of mind

are they going to laser cut the glass?

4. Nadzo

Nadzo Thread Starter

ok so i will look at the double base. fine to use 2x12mm glass hey. i think bracing of 12mm glass about 50mm wide. yes they will laser cut the glass and bevel (not sure how to spell that) the top edges.

5. dallasg

i can work on a design for you...
    what constraints are there? do you want overflow in the tank or out? must it be super silent?
    is there space behind the tank?

6. Nadzo

Nadzo Thread Starter

that will be awesome. i feel bad though. if you dont have the time its not a problem. thanks man. the overflow inside. i just chose the design coz its easier for me to build. and the less complicated the better haha. im not sure if this attachment will show. i was figuring u might not need eurobracing if done like that?

overflow.jpg

7. Nadzo

Nadzo Thread Starter

i was looking at the water level being 4cm from the top. the sump can handle 245l. so.. if the overflow starts 14cm from the top of the tank. and the box being 12cmx12cm. it would be 26cm down the tank. drilling the holes at about... maybe 23 or 24cm? somewhere around there. oh and i would like it to be silent. space isnt much a problem so no.. thanks again man

8. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

[​IMG]

I would dill 3 holes for the overflow

9. Nadzo

Nadzo Thread Starter

Yap I'm thinking the same thing.. I wanna do 3 separate.. Not next to eo.. Do u think it'll increase the surface area movement?

10. dallasg

I will have something for you tomorrow

11. Nadzo

Nadzo Thread Starter

thanks dallasg:thumbup:

Recent Posts