Help with Sump design

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by 4age, 27 Jun 2013.

1. 4age

4age

Hi guys

I need some help with the sump design..unfortunately i dont know how to use those programmes to create designs to post on forum..but anyway

I have a standard 90cm tank that i want to use for sump..will be running bio cubes, then want live rock and macro algae..running external skimmer and seperate top up tank so more space available in sump

was thinking of using a 4 compartment design..bio cubes in mesh bag in 1st compartment..then live rock in 2nd compartment , macro algae in 3rd department then uplift pump and carbon in 4th compartment.

or should i have the algae first and then the rock?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

You could put algae above liverock.
    Id go filter sock/wool, cubes in first. With skimmer intake/outlet into this chamber. Then liverock/algae then return/carbon in third chamber.

4. 4age

4age Thread Starter

ok cool..sounds like a plan..you think i should silicone struts that are standing about 5cm high along the length of the base of the compartment where the live rock is in so that there is flow under the rock?

I dont want detritus accumulating under the rock in the sump

5. 4age

4age Thread Starter

ok..so going to finish off sump today,,have a design im playing around with..no dsb as im running bio cubes and carbon..I will have some live rock in sump resting on egg crate.The baffles are planned to be done in a way to ensure flow under the rock. I have also included a ro water container
    but I am not sure if 10-15litre storage capacity is enough to be honest..what do you guys think?
    excuse the poor diagram.lol

[​IMG]

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Detritus will eventually settle under the eggcrate. How will you be able to get it out? Can still switch the return pump off and remove the rocks slowly, not to disturb it too much. Then siphon that section clean. Doing this when needed, and provided that you can see under there for when its needed. But this is an extra job to do, that will be postponed and postponed eventually.

Also, roughly, you use 10% RO topup per week. So work out your total water volume, get 10% and divide by 7 and that is what you need per day. Multiply by the number of days you want to be on leave, or away, at least 3 for a weekend.

7. 4age

4age Thread Starter

I built the sump for the tank a week ago..but now it seems the ro chamber might be too small..also..due to the pump being too strong and both 32mm holes from overflow not being able to handle the flow I had to add a t piece to the outlet from the pump which runs down into the middle chamber where live rock is..this creates some good current under the live rock.

here is the sump..

[​IMG]

I added a t piece with ball valve between 90 degree elbow and the connection which then runs into the middle sump compartment..i don't have a pic of how it looked after I made the change to the plumbing tho..

[​IMG]

Recent Posts