Help with skimmer

Reaction score
Hey
I'm new to MASA and new to the whole marine thing. I already have my tank (1600mm X 450mm X 700mm - approximately 500l)
I am busy setting up all the goodies.
I want to know about the skimmer - should I go in sump or hang on?
I already have a sump (cant remember size, but holds about 100l), but i have a problem with my cabinet as it seems the reeftek TS2 wont fit. (its 53cm in length)
So can i run a sump without an in-sump skimmer and alternatively use a hang-on skimmer??

will appreciate the help
Thanks

welcometomasa

Definitely in-sump skimmer for that size tank, I would personally not go for a hang-on.

Thanks, so will the Reeftek TS2 be best? Do i have other options?
And about the lighting? i want to go sps and fish
what will i need? 1 or 2 x250W MH and with how many T5's?
I'm very unsure of what i must choose and where to buy?

Thanks, so will the Reeftek TS2 be best? Do i have other options?
And about the lighting? i want to go sps and fish
what will i need? 1 or 2 x250W MH and with how many T5's?
I'm very unsure of what i must choose and where to buy?

Reeftek, is good but not the best, I would have to give that title to the Deltec skimmers.

Two MH's should be OK initially but you going need more as your tank gets filler.

T5's will do great for colouring and supplemental lighting.

Check out our sponsors, they will help you with all this gear

Welcome to MASA :)
My choice on a skimmer for you size of a tank would be Reef Octopus DNW 110 or DNW 150.I prefer external Recirculating skimmers.

masahello
you have come to the right place for advice and as mentioned give our sponsors a call they will help you with all the thingies you need

Hey Lemar, welcome to MASA.
My choice on a skimmer for you size of a tank would be Reef Octopus DNW 110 or DNW 150.I prefer external Recirculating skimmers.
I would have to agree with this 100%, probably best bang for your buck. Great skimmer that wont break the bank.

but not the best, I would have to give that title to the Deltec skimmers.
Way way off the mark here, decent skimmer but certainly not the best around.;)

Hey Lemar, welcome to MASA.

I would have to agree with this 100%, probably best bang for your buck. Great skimmer that wont break the bank.

Way way off the mark here, decent skimmer but certainly not the best around.;)

I am a Reef Octo man and wouldn't change to anything, but since I have been looking after Crispin's tank, I am highly impressed with the Deltec.

Is the bubblemaster the No. 1 ?

I am a Reef Octo man and wouldn't change to anything, but since I have been looking after Crispin's tank, I am highly impressed with the Deltec.

Is the bubblemaster the No. 1 ?
value for money the reef octo are no1;)

the others are way to expensive for the average hobbiest

Personally i would rate the Bubble King as no.1, but certainly wouldn't spend 30 odd grand on a skimmer for my size system. The Korallen Zucht looks interesting, i would love to see either of these skimmers in real life.
The 'new age' skimmers are designed with a curved shoulder going up to the neck of cup which helps in foam production, the older skimmers all have a flat shoulder with the neck of the cup mounted in the centre of this, now i reckon 50% of your bubbles would pop in these skimmers before going up into the neck.
Hope that makes sense.

hi, thanks for all the input. Must say im very glad I joined MASA.
no book can give me the practical knowledge and experience you guys have.

Hi Lemar - a very WARM welcome to MASA man!
Yeah - you have already been given awesome advice.... These guys knows what they are doing...... Good luck man!

BTW: Keep us posted - we LOVE pics! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom