Help with setup on zeo goeters

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by xtreme, 6 Aug 2011.

1. xtreme

xtreme

Hi guys

Ok was reading on the forum a bit then came across RiaanP DSB thread, my sump will be to small so not to waste time I decided to go with the Zeo goeters

My DT is 110cmLx 60cmW x water level 41cm

Sump is 68cmLx 55cmW x 35cmH

need it to have a good filtration, my porky pine puffer,Moray eel, 2 saddle back clowns and humbug is going in there, porky and moray mess a lot with food

how would you setup the sump and how many chambers?
    Going to order a Zeolith filter rated for 900L

What media must I put in there?
    Any info on how to start from day one with a unit like that?
    I'm a newbie to this, lol, don't want to mess it up:eek:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Q89

Q89

Going to tag along, also interested:thumbup:

Last edited: 6 Aug 2011
  4. Q89

Q89

I have a question.

What is the difference between all the different zeo stuf, zoelith, zeovit ect?

5. Tony

Tony

The zeolites on their own wont really help in your setup as you are trying to deal will keeping nutrients to a minimum from messy fish opposed to a ULNS which is needed for colourful SPS reef tanks and for which zeolite systems are designed. Yes, the zeolites do absorb ammonia to a certain degree and they do house bacteria which you dislodge by flushing the media but you can do without the reactor and cannot be relied on to absorb ammonia. I would personally go with probiotics dosing, carbon dosing and a big skimmer. That is all I use without a DSB, very little live rock or any other form of nutrient export besides a skimmer. A good GAC reactor will be better in keeping DOC's down.

Start with a decent bacteria source like Prodibio, Stability or Microbe lift and dose with 0.5ml per hundred litres of water every day for two weeks. You then up the dosage to 1ml per 100 litres per day. You can push the mark like me and go for 1.5ml of vodka per day whcih will allow you the scrappy fish or to feed heavily but a skimmer rated for double to triple your water volume is a must and you must split the vodka dosing in half and do half in the morning and half at night to prevent bacterial blooms.

The lighting isnt too important for a fish only tank unless you're going to add a few corals which then you will have to reconsider your lighting

Getting to your fish, it's nice to keep predators but your clowns mights just turn into a meal for your moray so bear that in mind when considering tank mates.

Getting back to probiotics, follow the dosage instructions as per the manufacturer then add the bacteria. Turn your skimmer off overnight for the bacteria to become active before being removed by the skimmer.

Is your tank up and running or do you still have to cycle it? If you still have to cycle I can elaborate (and a lot more guys here) on what to do to really get the bio filter going.

viper357 likes this.
  6. Tony

Tony

Zeolith or zeolites are the stones that is used in a zeolite system. These stones are either natural or man made and are used to house bacteria and absord ammonia keeping nutrients low. They are used primarily in a ULNS system which usually involves SPS corals and getting them nicely coloured up. High nutrients means the corals will turn brown as the will produce too much zooxanthellae.

Zeovit (brand name) is a German designed system which involves the zeolite stones, bacteria additions, bacteria food, amino acid feeding and adding other coral colouring tweakers to create colouful SPS reefs

7. Q89

Q89

That is a mouthful:lol:

8. Submariner

Submariner

Hi xtreme

If you are going to use the Zeovit system.

Then your sump can be very simple.

I would recommend starting the tank from day one on the zeovit system.

If you follow the steps to the letter has shown in the Zeo guide then you can have the tank cycled in ten days and even start adding sensitive corals and inverts like SPS and Clams on day ten.

The K.Z. Zeovit media is the best way to go has unlike most other zeolite based systems instead of a single type of zeolite the K.Z. zeovit media is comprised of three different types of zeolites each one with different properties.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2011
Recent Posts