help with selection of fish

Discussion in 'New Members' started by luke mac, 12 Sep 2009.

1. luke mac

luke mac

hi ive started a 400l marine tank, i would like to get some advise on the fish i wish to have... 2common clown fish, 1copperbanned buterfly fish, 1 regal tang, 1 cleaner wrasse, and a sea horse. thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Luke - A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA! Great to have you on-board mate.

Please wait before you add ANY fish to the marine tank. How long ago did you exactly start the tank. The cycling process takes at least 6 to 8 weeks...... If you add fish before this time has passed, you are really looking to start your tank off in a way that would cause you a LOT of head-ache.

Unfortunately, keeping marines is ALL ABOUT PATIENCE! Without that, people who start marines and are too much in a hurry, stop just as abrubtly, due to irritations and failures.

So - I would say the best fish to start off with, would be gobies, clown-fish, and perhaps some damsels....

You have to learn about which fish you can keep together first, before you add fish, else you will later on be sorry of your fish choices.

Also - regarding a copperband butterfly - this fish has a DISMAL survival rate. And your tank needs to have a HUGE HUGE HUGE pod population, that will sustain the copperband butterflies, because they (nearly always) only eat life pods.... and a lot of times don't accept the foods that we feed them.
    The same goes for sea horses. Sea horses are only to be kept in a species tank only.

Please read up on these fish before spending any money.

Good luck with your journey into keeping marines mate.....

4. Annoying

Annoying

Welcome to masa!!!

Like the regal tang and clown idea but wouldn't go with the coppeband and seahorse as previously mentioned they are EXTREMELY hard to keep alive longerthen a few months. Both need special feeding and deffinetly not for beginners...

Do you have any other ideas of what fish to keep...

5. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

6. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA. Like Jacques said leave the copperband and pony

7. crispin

crispin

hey luke, great yo have you join MASA :)

a 400l tank is anice size and you whould be able to have a lovely colourful reef with some great fish species over time:) selecting the correct mix of fish is of paramount importance but that normally comes a little later on.

The CBB and the seahorses are both extremely difficult to keep and definatley not for a beginner tank, id leave them alone for a little while:)

but lets not jump into fish just yet, why not tell us a little about your tank, the sump and the equipment you ahve to run the setup? That way we can help you from the beginning to get a set up that wont cost you too much and which will have a good chance of being a joyful hobby oppsoed to a heartbreaking frustration. Masa will do all we can to help you along the way :)

just note, its really important to know what and why you are putting into your tank. the territories of some fish, their requirments for swimming (tangs for example) will mean that your 400l is possibly a little small for them. so you must ask on here first and let us advise you on what fish and inverts are good for that tank ok :)

welcome to masa and happy postings:)

8. Hermanus

Hermanus

Hi Luke, welcome and hope u will have a great stay with masa!!

Tel us more about your system.:)

9. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA...luke

10. luke mac

luke mac Thread Starter

thanks to all for the great advice, i have a jebo 1100 protein skimmer, the filter has filter foam with all little peices of live rock, the sump is roughly 100+-150l, i have two heaters one in the sump, and one in the main tank, my tanks temp is at 26 degress. at the moment i have put my two 3 striped damsils, and a benny goby that i had in my previous nano tank. :)

11. Prodigy

Prodigy

welcome to MASA

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi luke mac, Welcome to MASA. Glad you joined!

Agree with the guys regarding the copperband and seahorse - very difficult to keep. How long has this tank been running?

13. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

masahello

14. Norries

Norries

Welcome Luke, is Darth Vadar ur father?

Recent Posts