Help with reefoctopus calcium reactor

Mekaeel

Reaction score
howzit guys.im getting really pissed off with my calcium reactor.yesterday for the second time,the pump on on blew up.it started to become really hot from the night before and the housing of the pump began to bend and and warp and it burnt out.any idea what pump i should run on the reactor now?the reactor is fitted with Octopus OPT-1000.
thanks crew

What is the flowrate of the pump or what flowrate do you need?

Mekaeel have you got the breather open on your reactor ?

I would go for Eheim, my korillin has one and they suppost to have a thermal cut out, so if they run dry the pump is not destroyed.
Thalion,i spoke to Cassim from julies pets as he has the same reactor and his came with a Haile pump.so im considering that

This is generally caused by the fine 'dust' in the reactor buildingup and clogging the pump, mine burnt out aswell. maybe re plum the reactor slightly and add an Eheim would be a good idea.

Mekaeel the bleed line will be one of the outlet pipes on the top of the reactor. The one exit is your effluent line and the other is your bleed line.
Do you have the bottom sponge on the baffle plate in place ?

Not sure why yours is doing this. I run the same reactor, mine has been going for about 9 months now. It runs 24/7 and I've never has a problem with it.
Strange..

Mekaeel the bleed line will be one of the outlet pipes on the top of the reactor. The one exit is your effluent line and the other is your bleed line.
Do you have the bottom sponge on the baffle plate in place ?
anthony.im not too sure if mines has this bleedline,cant seem to locate it.anyone got a pic of it to help me out please.yes i do have the sponges on

The sponges that are supplied with this unit are simply not fine enough for the media most often used by aquarists in sa. Think about it:
3-5mm media (not much bigger than the holes in supplied sponge), abrasively fluidised, reduced pH........... you gonna get chips into the impellor.
Use a hailea pump, also 1000lph fitting (I suspect same pump as octo, or at least same factory)
Another problem which happened to me, is gas buildup in the top of the reactor, preventing water from flowing to the pump, i.e. pump running dry............
This will occur if you have your pH probe situated remotely from the reactor. As the line is blocked, the pH at the probe rises, switching on the CO2.......
I have the older unit, so no space for a pH probe, and have been trying to source a new lid (with pH probe holder and bleed line) for some time with no success.......

Other way round....... aqua medic from halea factory, and octpus pump from........??

Pls post some pics of the mod u made to fit a probe to the lid. have been wanting to do this for a whle, but just not had the guts........

Nice Mod Mekaeel.
Still baffled as to why you battling with the pumps though.
When you stripped the pump was there a lot of grit in the impellor housing ?

thanks anthony!im also confused as to why the pump burns out,when i tried opening up one of the fittings,water was pissing out which means there was water flowing through.and no,there was nothing at all around the impellor.gonna get myself the or as the hailea isnt fitting.by the way,what pump is on your anthony?

Back
Top Bottom