Help with placement of equipment in sump

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by duanead, 18 Jun 2011.

1. duanead

duanead

Hi guys so im almost ready to start my tank but first of all I bought most of my stuff before I joined Masa and therefore didnt know about how good dsb's works

So I have a 4 compartment sump and will like to have a few opinions from you guys where to place the following :

Skimmer
    Heater
    Return pump
    Seachem matrix biofilter media+ceramic bio glass noodles
    Media Filter with n/p pellets in

I was thinking of Seachem matrix in overflow
    Skimmer compartment 1
    ceramic bio glass noodles 2nd compartment
    Heater compartment 3
    Media filter with return pump in compartment 4
    With live rock in tank

Please if anyone can assist me on the best method any any suggestions please feel free to comment

Thank you this site is a real help for this great hobby,cant wait to start

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey man, the seachem media should just be in a high flow area, DONT use the glass noodles. DOnt use any ceramic rings/bio balls etc as they trap poop and become nitrate factories (you dont want this)..
    Skimmer in the 1st compartment. For the NP pellets are you going to use a NP Pellet reactor? If so then you can have the reactor in the 2nd chamber followed by a bubble trap and the heater and return pump in the last chamber which should be just a little bigger than your return pump. Reason you want a small return is that when water evaporates then it will cause a bigger water level drop in a small chamber than a big one. So then your auto top up unit will kick in more often but will pump less RO water into your system which will keep the SG of the water more stable

4. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Hi tremayn thanks for advise,yes its a np reactor,if I may ask will it run fine that way?and what is a bubble trap?

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

Yes it should be fine depending on the reactor and the flow going through it. A bubble trap is just two or three pieces of glass dividers (depending on design) to break bubbles so that bubbles dont enter the return chamber which will cause micro bubbles in the DT. For NP pellets to work properly you need a reactor. I highly recommend reading up about NP pellets as there is no real instructions on them.. Read this
    N/P Pellets DOES work! - Marine Aquariums of South Africa . hope it helps mate :)

6. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira

In theory you can get away with 2 compartments, one for the skimmer and NP reactor with the heater and second for the return pump.
    Personally it gives me more peace of mind to run a dsb then I know the water must pass over it.
    Remember to add the np pellets slowly over a few weeks.

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

If he is going to run NP then there is no need for a DSB. duanead, what skimmer are you using? You need an efficient skimmer when using NP

8. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

I have a skimz sm 161 skimmer its rated for 1200 litres and my tank is about 600 litres,okay so I need to put in more glass dividers?or is their any other way to stop micro bubbles getting into return pump?

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

you can use filter wool etc but I would still recommend a bubble trap. Its relatively cheap and easy to put in.. Dude please do yourself a favour and do as much research on NP Pellets. They can be really effective especially when using them from the start but can have negative effects of used wrong. If you use your pellets right then you will have an awesome tank from the start:)

10. duanead

duanead Thread Starter

Thanks tremayn for the much needed help,will do some research

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

you are off to a good start then :) .. dont feel shy to ask us questions

12. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira

My personal favorite is the milk filter sock.
    It a bit of a pt but personally I think its worth it.
    I also noticed that the skimmer skims less with it in place.

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

Milk filter sock will work good on the inlet pipe along with filter wool, but it will be hard to use it to replace a bubble trap prior to the return chamber

Recent Posts