Help with pico

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dikdaan, 7 Aug 2010.

1. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Hi all

My dad has a little 7 liter pico. The pico crashed the other day while i was gone and he just left it till i was back. The termostat broke and the tank cooled dramatically and stayed cool for almost a week...Most of the corals etc died in the pico. There is a massive algae breakout in the tank at the moment and i want to save the tank.

Do i need to replace all the water and scrub off the algae or do i do a 50% water change, scrub off the algae and keep an eye on the parms?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

i would say the second option.'

With a pico you need to be very hands on and knowlegable to keep it healthy

4. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Thx johan, yes i at least thought that they will keep an eye on it as they need to pass the pico no matter where they need to go in the house...

5. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

O yes after the water change should i lower the light cycle to less hours on?

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Is there any livestock at all in the tank? If so can you tell us exactly what is in the tank.

Last edited: 7 Aug 2010
  7. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Ther's a peppermint shrimp and he is still healthy and happy. There are 4 different types of Zoa's but looks like 2 of them died as they turned completely white, a few small shrooms bout the size of a 2c coin, some LR and aragonite for substrate. None of the corals are open all closed up... O yes and there's a lot of algae...

8. Johan van Aardt

bring the temp up to normal slowly. then do a water change of 2-3 liters daily for the next week, that way if something dies you will be exporting the nutrients.

take out the liverock and get as much algae off as you can. Get purigen and put in tank.

thats all help i can think of right now.

9. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

The algae is not on the LR but on the glass and on the back of the tank... I do have Seachem Stability, should i add this as well?

10. Johan van Aardt

you probably could add a bit but not a lot being such a small system i wouldn't play around with that sort of stuff.

Clean off all the algae and do those small water changes daily. If you add purigen it will take up all the phosphate, and i would really recommend that. also you can mke your photoperiod less like 4 hours a day of light is enough as long as the room its in isnt to dark

11. Dikdaan

Dikdaan Thread Starter

Ok cool, the room isnt dark no. Will quickly go get some purigen from the shop.Thx for all the advice!!!

Recent Posts