help with phosphate removal

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by 4age, 4 Jul 2013.

1. 4age

4age

Hi guys..need help choosing best way to remove phosphates..

I am still busying setting up tank and want to plan ahead to incorporate phosphate remover in tank..must it be kept in a reactor or can I add it in a bag and add to sump..if it must be in reactor will I be able to use a fluidised bed filter for phosphate media reactor?

secondly what brand would you recommend that's not too heavy on the pocket but works well..been reading about a lot of members using orca phospha guard..Thanks in advance for your input

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

Biocubes:p

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i would suggest Orca PhosGuard
    there are plenty, Seachem PhosGaurd, Brightwell etc, all can be fluidised

MistaOrange likes this.
  5. dallasg

Yes the Orca Normal Bio Cubes will remove Nitrates and Phosphates, but they are not pure Phos removers, depending on how much the system starts with you might need to suppliment PO4 removal

6. 4age

4age Thread Starter

I have bio cubes..but bought the wrong one..took titanium without realising that it only removes nitrates:cursing:

now to find a lfs in ct who stocks the phospha guard..wats the estimated price and how much will I need for mixed reed +-350litres

7. dallasg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. 4age

4age Thread Starter

9. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Hey I remember explaining the Redfields ratio with you, you still took the Titanium ? Bring it back to swap for normal v4 cubes.

10. 4age

4age Thread Starter

@Andre@ReefAquatics..i know you did but I didn't realise that the titanium does not remove phosphates at all..thought it still removes phosphates and them continues removing nitrates once phosphates are 0. Its ok.im going to mix it with some normal biocubes that I have running in my 2m tank n see how it works..i still think I want to get separate phosphate media going

11. dallasg

Top Class Service! :thumbup:

12. 4age

4age Thread Starter

have to agree with you hey..Andre always willing to help the reefers out

13. Bendor

Bendor

I use Biocubes and bottomed out with nitrates but still had significant phos left.

I bought a two little fishies reactor and a 700l/h pump (1000l/h would be better) and Orca Phosguard. The reactor was due to size constraints, it fits in the back of my RSM 250 and it is easily big enough to run phosguard for a 350l tank.

Phos bottomed out and now I am left with 2 Nitrates which works well for my softie/lps tank.

It's been about 4 or 5 months and I still have no phosphate in the tank. I also bought recycle which will regenerate the the 250ml phosguard 6 times. This means 3 years worth of phos removal (6monthly, six times with one container) for the following price.

Phosguard about R300
    Recycle R200
    Two little fishies phosban reactor R1000
    700l/h pump R250
    Total R1750 at R48.61 per month

Tips: Remove both the spunges in the reactor, they just clog up and stop the reactor functioning.
    Place phosguard in reactor as per instructions. Place 10 liters of RO in a bucket. Use two pipes to connect the inlet and outlet with the bucket of water. Close the valve, start the pump and then slowly open the valve until the media tumbles and the brown stuff clears. Thereafter remove, put in tank and forget about it.

If you remove the filters any detritus that gets pumped into the reactor just gets ground down or flushes out the top. If you leave the filters they just clog up. You can easily set the reactor valve to a setting that gives very good flow and media fluidisation without it spitting the stuff out the top.

14. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Great tips as all my phospha guard is currently spilled all over in my sump. :(

Recent Posts