Help with Orca nitra quard cubes

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Docgene, 28 May 2015.

1. Docgene

Docgene

Good day all,

I am new to this exciting hobby. I have a four month old 120l nano tank running.
    Had a bit of a nitrate problem lately, measuring above 30ppm.
    Decided to try Orca bio cubes and installed it via instructions with air stone. After 3 weeks I noticed some of my LPS corals dying and even my gsp not opening.
    Decided to remove cubes and noticed they had gone brown and had bad rotten smell. Checked ammonia in tank and it was 0,2. I then checked ammonia in water that the cubes were standing in and it measured 2.
    Is this normal when using cubes, to have a ammonia spike?

Since I removed cubes my gsp are opening up again.

/

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dian6430

Dian6430

How much cubes did you put in? Also if not supplied with enough air this can happen

4. Mr Dan

Mr Dan

At a guess I would say your bio filter has not matured yet. you maybe stocked to much to soon and something died, imo you should find the source of the high nitates, remove it and then try bio cubes, there is no such thing as a quick fix in this hobby you need to get to know your tank and learn by your mistakes. Good luck and all the best, I hope you come rite
    btw what filters are you running? and in what order?

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Ok... Lets figure this out...
    Your tank completed nitrogen cycle?
    Ammonia and nitrite absent and followed by increased nitrate?
    Installed cubes... How much, how long ago and how much air going through them?
    Are you running a sump, as by the vol you mentioned, it sounds like one of those all in one tanks?
    What is the pathway of water flow from your ORCA biocube bomb to your skimmer?
    And the flow rate?

Last edited: 28 May 2015
  6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Bio cube remove nitrates and phosphates from the system.
    As for your corals gps and lps like water with higher nitrates and phosphates and a sudden reduction in these levels can give your corals a hard time. also ammonia present is never a good thing

First you need to address your ammonia issue. as suggested perhaps your bio filtration is perhaps not mature enough or is struggling with loadshedding.

what other filtration are you running?

This is a clear indication that the flow of water and air through the bio cubes is not sufficient.

Last edited: 28 May 2015
  7. Quintus

Quintus the irish aXeman

i did see a you video where a coral closed due to no phosphates in the system, ans when he overfed and the phosphate rose to .04 the coral opened, i will try find the video and post

8. Docgene

Docgene Thread Starter

Thanks guys for replies. Think my problem was poor flow. Have an Aquaria 102 tank with no sump. There is not a lot of flow going through the back of the tank even with the airstone in the filter bag. Think everything went anaerobic, reason for bad smell.
    Well so we learn, Bio cubes caused a different kind of "Bomb" in my tank.

Recent Posts