Help with new tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by scanlan, 2 Jan 2015.

1. scanlan

scanlan

Hi my name is shane, I have a 50l tank all working 100% added fish and having bad advice from people mainly pet store people.

I currently have 2 clown fish 2 green blue cromis. 2 cleaner schrimp. A feather duster worm snails an urchin live rock and 3 cardinals,

I added 2 new fish , a yellow tailed cromis and a yellow tailed damsel,

The first 2 cromis I have started attacking the damsel to the point that it is dying and there is no way of saving it.

Everything I have read says the damsel is the violent one but in my tank it not the case.

Should I buy a pair of fish from now on? Would that have made a difference? Or what else could I look at to add verity and colour ?

I am busy setting up another 50l tank with a bridge to join them but need to know how to populate my current one in the mean time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Shane

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Brendan6

Brendan6

A suggestion...stop stocking. You have too many fish in a small tank.

Reaper and TaahirS like this.
  4. Brendan6

Brendan6

As for pairs...well with many species of fish, the male and the female look different so having a pair is often a good way of mixing colour. Take a Leopard Wrasse for example.

Then you get the fish like the clowns, the make and female look similar so there is no variety. A female clown can be very happy living alone.

The best advice would be...do research on a variety of fish that are available for commercial purchase and figure out 1. What you like and 2. If you meet there requirements.

Happy hunting dude

Omnitank likes this.
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Doubt you got enough algae growth in a 50L tank to sustain an urchin. As soon as you notice the pins laying falt move it to another bigger tank. Else when it start throwing the pins off it is too late and it is already dying of starvation.

Reaper likes this.
  6. Mr Dan

Mr Dan

hey Scanlan I agree with Brendan you are trying to stock to much in a small tank .What I would suggest is take a breath, let us know what your goal is ,what filtration you are running and most important of all don't be shy to ask questions. Don't forget that fish grow so with a 50lt system you will run out of space quickly

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

the issue you had was too many territorial fish in a small tank.
    that tank is very overstocked not due to qty but the species you have.

what filtration do you have on it? skimmer?

Reaper and butcherman like this.
  8. Reaper

Reaper

I have to agree with all the others buddy, your tank is way overstocked.

If you for instance have a look at my tank as an example, I have a 130l boyu, and the only fish I have currently is 2 clowns, a midas blenny, a fire goby, a cardinal, a cleaner wrasse, a yellow wrasse and a foxface. These fish are all put together with the thought of their territories, feeding habits, etc. etc.etc.

As you can see, I have fewer fish than you in a larger tank, and I'm aiming to add only another 2, max 3 fish, all serving purpose.

What I'm trying to say, start by reading up on the fish you're considering to keep, if they're even slightly aggressive, leave it out. In a confined space like yours, it will be much better to only have calm and placid fish. My own personal experience...? I stay far away from all damsels. Don't even consider tangs, foxface, or any fish growing bigger than a clown.

And like Dallasg asked, give us some more details on your setup: filtration, etc.

dallasg likes this.
  9. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Wow, 9 fish in a 50litre:eek::m79:
    Has your tank cycled? How long has it been running?

Nothing more!!! Waaaay too many fish already.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2015
  10. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Welcome to the forum.

Recent Posts