Urgent help needed Help with my Regal

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by gMAN, 10 Feb 2010.

1. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Hey guys, dunno if this is serious or not being a newbie, got home from work this evening to find white spots on my regal, spoke to somebody, said my cleaner shrimp should take care of it, should I be concerned? She was fine when I left home this morning.. Please advise anyone?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. vatso

vatso

Hi gMan - I am not expert myself - What I have read to make sure the fish is eating - a way to make this happen is to use fish food with Garlic. I am sure there will be people here that will tell you what to do.

check the forum as well in search there have been posts about this before

Mark

4. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

It used to happen to mine as well. Feed him a good mixed diet and keep water quality good. Mine used to clear up in a day or 2. I dont think it was actually white spot. They sleep wedged inbetween rocks so it could just be marks from that. My regal has been silly enough to chase food straight through my Anemone's tentacles which left some nasty marks. Good luck.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi gMan. The advice given so far is good advice. In addition to that, try and get marine multi-vitamins. Dunk the fishfood - especially some nori - in the water/vitamin mix. That together with garlic should sort out the regal tang in a few days time. As long as the regal eats healthy.

6. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Also, wat u could do, gradually decrease the S.gravity to 1.017, and 3-4 days it could fix that that. One of my buddy has a 1000Lt reef, even I do it. whenever he's faced with white spots i.e "stress", he just drop the salinity to 1017. Feed well the fish with vitamin/garlic mixed food. As long as it's eating there no worry but do maintain a proper water quality.;)

7. Tony

Tony

If its a few spots a good diet will help. It happens to mine all the time and they are gone after a day or so. If it gets worse you can do like Mauritius Aquarist says and drop the salinity but only if you have no inverts and corals in the tank otherwise do this in a quarantine tank. Drop the salinity to 1.010 to really break the cycle. I'm afriad a SG of 1.017 wont help much

8. Tony

Tony

P.S. The cycle of ich takes 28-30 days to complete but if its just s few spots dont stress

9. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Agree with u Tony, but don't worry, the reason to drop the salinity to 1.017 is mainly to facilitate the fish tasks to concentrate its energy on developing its natural immunity. Fish uses energy to "filter" the salt of saltwater and use the freshwater only in fact! I don't how to explain it. I just hope i've been clear. Having more energy the fish has more power to overcome the disease.;)

10. gMAN

gMAN Thread Starter with the plan

Thanks guys, seems to have cleared up this morning, she eats quite well, diet consists of frozen brine shrimp and nori, but she hasn't taken too well to the nori, brine is eaten in a flash! what other foods could i introduce her too?
    I need advice on vitamins & where too purchase them as well?

11. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Wat has it been eating before?? U can continue with that food(mix it with garlic). U care try the small pellets or better flakes(rich in vitamins) u mix it with garlic paste(mix well:p) and try. prepare a little first. If u see the regal likes it, then u can continue. Remember maintain good water quality.

12. gMAN

gMAN Thread Starter with the plan

Hey guys, just an update on my regal... visited Idol Marine on the weekend & got some vitamins to mix with food, also added garlic. She's now looking good, no recurrence of the white spots. Thanks BOB!! :thumbup:

13. Sentari

Sentari

Regals are tough. Mine gets whitespot all the time then gets cleaned by the cleaner and then he's okay. I'm currently pondering removing all my fish for 40 days or so so the whitespot cant find a host again. But i'm very against this...

Just make sure they keep eating!

Recent Posts