Help with my Lighting!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Rabbit, 17 May 2011.

1. Rabbit

Rabbit

Hi Guys,
    I need some advise on my lighting, i currently have a 3x 54w T5 Unit. My water depth is sitting at 600mm, I have a wooden hood which is resting on the rim of my glass. the Total Height of the glass is at 700mm. the Tank is 1200mm in width and 450mm in depth
    What would be the best thing to do in my case ? Sell off my Unit ? or just supplement it with MH ? or go all t5
    I would like to keep some sps eventually at mid to high of the tank
    I would also like to use minimal energy consumption for the Most Effective Look ie bright colours and great coral growth
    Your input will be appreciated!!

I have a duplicate post on this under link:

An In depth approach to Lighting - Page 3 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

You'll have to increase your lighting to either more t5s or go with halide t5 combo especially if you want to keep SPS's one day. For softies and LPS your light is fine

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

unfortunately your tank is pretty narrow, so maybe 2x 150w mh and 3 more t5's

5. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

That's going to give me a total of 462w , don't you think it will be a bit overkill ? I was considering having 2 x 70w MH's to use along with my t5 unit. This will bring my total wattage to 302w

6. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

maybe go with my approach, 1 strong MH, 250W perhaps, supplemented with 20,000 t5s, metal halide in the center, there you can keep ur sps, jus an idea I guess, still wanna hav a look at ur setup bud

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

A 250w will also be good but you will have to mount it pretty high to cover the tank or make a thin long reflector. @Rabbit its not overkill as you want to keep sps. Its basically the lighting Im going to have on my tank which is shallow and I keep lps and softies lol... MH for the growth and t5's for colour

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. keyaam

keyaam

Quality of light is more important. Personally i will modify your existing unit and add two t5s externally with individual reflectors. As for bulbs i will only buy giesemann

9. Rabbit

Rabbit Thread Starter

How would I modify my existing lighting unit ? I could get away with just adding 2 t5 at the back of my hood

Recent Posts