Help with Moon Coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Elrond, 17 Aug 2011.

1. Elrond

Elrond

Guys,

My moon coral that has been in my system for 3 months appears to be losing tissue. The edges are retreating and the underlying skeleton is being exposed. This is a slow process. The coral is about mid way in my system under 6 T5's and close to what I reckon is a 'medium' slow. My other LPS in the system (lobo, and 2 brains) appear perfectly fine.

mg - 1350
    ca - 440
    alk - 6.5dkh
    ph - 8.2

Any suggestions on what to do/look for?

Thanks!

Last edited: 17 Aug 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

alk is a bit low, albeit not critical, might want to top that up a bit, try get it to between 7 and 8. Are there any other corals close by that could be extending sweeper tentacles and stinging the moon coral?

Can you show us a pic of the coral, as 'moon coral' may refer to a couple of different corals, then we can properly ID it and check it's requirements.

4. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

viper357 - There is a sinularia coral close by, I took it out and had a closer look at it yesterday and it seems only one side is looking worse for wear... on the one side there is a bit more flow but not really a lot - how much flow do these things like? Saying 'low to moderate' is a pretty vague comment.

Here is a picture that happens to include the moon coral when it was looking a lot healthier a few weeks ago...

[​IMG]

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Looks like a Favia to me, but then these corals confuse me badly :p I don't know, difficult to say really, I've always been under the impression they like pretty strong flow. They extend loads of feeder tentacles at night, so perhaps the occasional night feed with something like cyclopeeze might help a bit?

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

my experience is that the part receding are not getting enuff light or the substrate is irritating it.

try making a stand out of 50mm pipe about 5cm high to mount it on for a few weeks and see. also giving it a dip in coralRx will help kill any infections or parasites on it.

your local lfs should be obliging to help with this, or last resort a iodine dip

7. dallasg

its a Favia lizardensis, aka moon corals :)

they like high flow, moderate to bright light and like to be fed meaty foods

8. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

dallasg, can you define meaty foods?

Here's a picture of the coral... I've moved it to get more light and more flow and bumped up the Alk.

[​IMG]

9. dallasg

Krill, mysis and baby brine
    Also frozen cyclops

10. Tony

Tony

I think it's your alkalinity or the coral being on the substrate. I have never personally fed mine directly but I think there's plenty fish poop to go around in my system. If it was on the substrate the areas under the sand could have died away from a lack of exposure to light and the coral polyps were "suffocating" for want of a better word

Recent Posts