Help With Lights For New Tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Arries, 19 Oct 2011.

1. Arries

Arries

Hey Guys.

As some of u know im busy setting up a 1.2m tank(1200x450x500)LWH with waterlevel at 460...
    Now as all newbies going big i need suggestions for lights..
    I have 2x150 mh lights.
    Will they be enough and wot globes would u guys suggest i put in.
    How far apart and how high sould i put them above the tank..
    Sould i add a few T5's for the blue or wot..Im kinda stupid with lights still..:blush:
    At the moment i dont wanna keep SPS just softies and LPS but neva know i just might try SPS in the future...

Any input would be gr8..

Thanx guys.

Armand
    :1::thumbup::peroni:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. juan R

juan R

Hi Armand. Those 2 150 watt MH are perfect and i suggest that you add some T5's as well. The reason being is that you dont run your MH all day, but only about 4 hours a day. The T5's you can run for the majority of the day and give you the needed light to grow all the food sources that your corals filter feed off. The MH should be spaced in such a fasion that they give an even spread across the tank. The hight should not be lower than 500mm above the water as this could cause a temp increase. On the T5's i would suggest buying Geisermann, as they are the best. The colours, well that is not that simple and i dont have enough ecsperience to give you any advice but what i can say is that the masa members will be able to tell you exactly what you need. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck and never stop asking.

Dewald@Dorry likes this.
  4. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

@juan R
    Thanx man...Im used 2 Nano tanks as it wot i started on..
    I'll have to wait 4 the 'BIG' guys 2 come out with the advise then as im not very sure about the colours ect.....Also not sure how many T5's to run...Geez this is getting difficult...
    Thanx for the advise...
    :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. juan R

juan R

Armand, on your size tank i would run no less than 4 T5's.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

that's true, but downside is that you loose a lot of light penetration. See the difference a PAR reader gives you for every 100mm in front of the light. and that is outside the water.

If you use 2*150W MH I would still add 2*54W T5, to balance out the colour. On MH 10000 or 14000K light would be OK, personally the 10000 would be better for coral growth but the water would look yellow. To add that white crisp look, you need 2 actinic T5 tubes.

Else I would rather go for 6*54 T5, same wattage as 2*150W MH. Can get better colour out of it. 5*54 T5 and the combinations you can use is nice. Even running on 3 or 4 timers you can spread the lightning cycle so that only 2 tubes come on early, more during the day. All on for 4 hours, then they start to go off again. Will find that that setup will use a lot less power.

7. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

@RiaanP
    Hmmm ok and let's say I use the 2mh in combo with 4 39w T5's..then early moring turn 1white and acintic on...2hrs later maby the other 2..then from let's say 12-4 run the mh with the T5's and then turn the mh off at 4 and run T5's turning off 2 at a time till 20:00...will that work...

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes that should work.
    but I will start with 2 actinic, later the 2 whites, later the MH, and then in reverse.

What colour is in the water 60 minutes after the sun came up? Blue, light travel with steep angle, quite a distance to the corals. Red and yellow filtered out. Later in the day, sun at higher angle, then the distance in the water is shorter, then more yellow and red reach the corals.
    Obvious at sunrise when the atmosphere already filter out the blue, and we see the nice red sunrise, then its different.

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

you could go with blv 20k globes for the MH and just run 2 actinic T5's .. Thats what Im running and it looks beautiful and no heat problems. With 4 T5's on you start to loose the shimmer. I have some sps and they are growing, so you could easily keep montis and some acros with it. 150w Mh's are not really that powerful and you can keep lps, softies etc with no problems :)

10. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

@RiaanP
    Hmmm ok that sounds like a gr8 plan..Wots the diffrence between the actinic and the actinic plus..And wots the purpose of the 'pink' T5's...All from Geissemenn...

@Tremayn
    I think at the moment I have 2 20k globes in...doesn't ur MH comsume a lot of electricity running for so long...I'm looking for electronic ballasts 4 the MH as I want 2 save were I can...But thanx 4 that info will def keep that in mind...:thumbup:

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the K rating. Check on the box. Depends also on make, but 20 000K is actinic

Depending on K rating of MH, you might use different K rating T5 to those I said earlier. 20000K MH is very blue.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2011
  12. Tridan

Tridan

Actinic falls into the 50 000k range

Aquarium Lighting; Reef, Planted Light Information. PAR, Bulb, Watt, Kelvin, Nanometers, MH, LED.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]*The 50,000K is generally the Kelvin rating of an actinic blue light source which is beneficial for the first "spike" in PAR. This temperature light (as with 20,000K) is best used with other light Kelvin Temperatures and is a better choice than the 20,000K light for such combinations. The 50,000K is a good compliment to the 6500, 10,000, 14,000 Kelvin lights, especially for zooanthellic algae necessary for stony corals, clams, nudibranch, anemones, and other sessile species.

Taken from the above link
    [/FONT]

13. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

Geez ok...ill be changing the MH to 10000k..then run the 2 20000k T5's with the 2 whites...Thanx a lot 4 the info......Ill post pics as I start with everything...

14. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Actinic is used for florescence and is usually near 50 000K, the actinic plus is a actinic globe with more blue visually, there aquablue+ is 50% blue and 50% white with a white visual light
    the aquapink is supplimental lighting for most Red corals, enchancing the Rec coloration

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

A very popular combination you will not be far out with is...

2 x HQI 150w 14000k
    2 x Aquablue+
    2 x Actinic +

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

blv 20k bulbs are not very blue. They are like a crisp white with a hint of blue, thats why I use 2 actinics. Have a look at mariusmeyers tank and see how amazing the colour is :) .. It doesnt use too much of power but 4 t5's would use less :)

17. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Arries ... Well done on getting @Mogamatseraajregal tank, wen he had it,his setup was thru the roof amazin... So you gotta do it better now lol.... And hurry up with those pics bro

18. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

@JsREEFn
    Lol don't know if I can beat him but I am gonna do the best I can with it...will post pics as I go...just bust gettn everything 2getha...Costn a lot of $...geez..

Does anybody know were I can get Electronic ballasts 4 my MH and wot they cost about...

Thanx 4 all the input guys...Really gr8...

19. Zombie_CT

Zombie_CT

Call a guy by the name of Jason at TRIDONIC in Montague Gardens, don't have his number with me right now, ut if you google it you will find it.
    They cost between R400 and R500

Recent Posts