HELP with installation

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Pantoffel, 19 Dec 2014.

1. Pantoffel

Pantoffel

Hi All

Its finally time for my system to get up and running.

But now my installers dropped me big time and I have to do it now myself.

1st thing I have to do is to fix the base that they cracked when they off loaded the tank.

So what is the best way to do it? What silicone must I use? I have no clue how and what to do.

So any help will do:m03::thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

post a pic of the crack etc

its a matter of new glass pane and marine silicone, all from builders and patch it

but that depends on the glass and tank, a pic will help

4. the fish

the fish

which color do you prefer black or clear? clear is easy to get at any of the hardware stores. Black is not so easy to get hold of. only marine silicone can be used to build tanks with as others wll probably poison your water. also try idol marine to come help with the build. they will probably be the best or nemos janitor. that is if you do not have the energy to tackle this on your own.

5. Pantoffel

Pantoffel Thread Starter

Its the bottom so I don't mind the colour of the silicone. The tank is all ready built and the people who built is was suppose to install it as well but they've got problems now and cant do it until next year.

6. Pantoffel

Pantoffel Thread Starter

Oh I will take pics this evening and post it.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What is the size of the tank?

And is the tank sides build on top of the base? Or is it a floating base? (meaning, sides goes all the way to the bottom and base fits within?)

Can you fit another glass sheet or multiple panels within the tank, so that the bottom becomes double? (This would be the quickest and simplest method)

Last edited: 19 Dec 2014
  8. flappy

flappy

Best to replace the base and wait till fully cured....you might want to wait till they do it for you anyway so you don't incur any additional expenses.....sorry you had to go through this...

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

agree.

But

Depends on the size of the tank. Is it manageable? can you turn it upside down with the help of the neighbor, or do you need a rugby team?

Is the tools available to do a complete tank breakdown, cutting all the panels apart. Do you have the knowledge and experience in getting panels apart without chipping the sides, never mind cracking a panel.

Simplest method would be if you want to do it yourself, is to double up the bottom. Keep the existing base in place and add base on top of that with enough silicone. Second base can be panels next to each other, 3 or 4 of them, or one big pane. I will go with the multiple smaller panels, easier to handle them and to get them in place.

Do not add the silicone all in one day or in closed up circles. Use long "S" like silicone strips between the panels so that air can come in and let the silicone dry out completely everywhere. Then a couple of days later you can seal the edges.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2014
    tyronvs likes this.
  10. Pantoffel

Pantoffel Thread Starter

I've got no idea but will have a look at it this evening.

11. Pantoffel

Pantoffel Thread Starter

Yip Im not a happy camper at the moment :m35:

12. Pantoffel

Pantoffel Thread Starter

Oi:m16:

I have NO experience never did something like this just Gatvol of everything and want it fixed and running now.

13. Breado

Breado

Get the precise measurements - order the glass pane from Rene Turk (jet park)- they will deliver for free cos u within 10kms radius

Den Braven black aquariums silicon - u can get at Mica Eastgate.

Once you have the bits, I am sure someone can help u put it together. I know a guy but you will have to negotiate with him, but some memebers will be able to help out.

Recent Posts