Urgent help needed Help with Ich

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Lockes, 11 Feb 2010.

1. Lockes

Lockes

Hey

I added some fish recently to my main tank and did not use my quarantine tank so I know this is my fault but I need some help

I can see my Regal has picked up Ich

I did re-aquascape a few days ago so it may have been the stress from that which caused the outbreak

What is the best medication to use in the tank as trying to catch these fish is impossible unless I take the whole tank apart which would seem to stress everyone out anyway making the situation worse

I have read Seachem paraguard and Metronidazole will work but does this only treat the fish? Surely the life cycle of ich is way too long and it will just come back?

Its also very expensive........My system is around 1000 - 1200 litres in total which means dosing at least 26g every two days and therefore R900 every 8 days !!!

Any help would be appreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, sorry you had to join this way when having problems.
    To start off with, make sure the temp and other parameters stay stable to not cause any extra stress to the fish. Make sure the fish are eating well so that their immune system stay strong. There are other medicines available, just make sure it is reefsafe.

Tell us a bit more about the setup and post pics of your fitration as well.

Do you have corals and invertebrates in the tank?
    How long has the tank been running?
    What are your water parameters?

4. Lockes

Lockes Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the help

Well the tank has been running for around 2 years now and is well established and parameters are stableā€¦..a little fluctuation in temp but that is to be expected in Summer.

As I said I presume the stress came from the intro of the new fish and the re-aquascaping. The Regal is not a new fish and I have had it for around a year now.

I have never seen ich or any other disease in the tank before now.

I do have snails and hermits in the tank will they be affected by the medication??

Any suggestions on the medication?

5. durleo

durleo

Well the only way to rid ur system is to have it fishless for 30 days but guys say 6 weeks to be sure. I have ich in my system cos my regal get it every once in a while but none of the other fish have symptoms of it. I added a UV Sterilizer and add garlic to my food mix. I also add Tropic Marine Immunvit that has spirulina and beta gluten and Lipovit which has Cod liver oil and garlick extract . I add lemon juice to my seafood mix to add Vitamin C aswell. Once a system has it and no new fish are added the strain of itch will diminish in 9 months - The fish also build immunity to it so the best we can do is strenghten their defenses. Adding chemicals to ur display can cause other problems for inverts and corals

6. Lockes

Lockes Thread Starter

My only problem is i don't want to just leave my Regal I would like to help if possible

Anyone had any experience with the seachem products which are apparently Reef Safe?

7. durleo

durleo

With itch we often stress more than the fish do - If it is Oodinium then that is another story and needs prompt treatment. Add guarlic guard drops to ur food first - (get from LFS) - it has vitamin c aswell. The cost of Immunvit and Lipovit is cheaper than medication and will help all ur fish stay healthy. What are you feeding them at the moment?

Recent Posts