Help with heating

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by FrancoisJou, 27 Jun 2011.

1. FrancoisJou

FrancoisJou

I got a Boyu TL 550 on Saturday.

Added the saltwater and after that some Aragonite substrate.

Got everything running, but after 2 days now the tank temperature is at 21c. Was higher last night but it seems like it drops a lot through the nite. The heater is in the fourth compartment together with the return pump. I can actually feel the water in the compartment heat up. But it looks like the heater shuts down every now and again (Seeing as the water temp is still low I would have thought it would be working 24/7?

It's the stock heater that comes with the tank.

Any help/advice?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

Can the heater not be set higher? Should have a dial on the top, you may find the heater is only set to 21deg so it keeps turning off....

Last edited: 27 Jun 2011
  4. FrancoisJou

FrancoisJou Thread Starter

It was set to 26 throughout the night. I have it on 32 at the moment. It's a 100watt heater. Could it be that the power output from it is not enough?

It is very cold where I stay, 0 degrees at the moment and the room is probably like 10-15c.

5. Tony

Tony

Get a better heater. A lot of guys battled with the cold this past weekend including my self. I had 1 x 300W Jager heater set to 27 and two other 300W heaters set to 27 degrees and my temp was at 24 and one of the heaters were off despite being set to 27 degrees. I pulled out one of the other crappy heaters and added another Jager 250W heater set to 27 and my temp is rock solid at 26 degrees.

The cheaper heaters cant cope as well as good heaters, and the temp settings versus what they are actually doing are two different things

Last edited: 27 Jun 2011
  6. Tony

Tony

Speed reading again. What could also be happening is that the heater could be switching off if it is not fully submerged. Some heaters have this feature as a failsafe

7. FrancoisJou

Cool, I was thinking about that. Should I get a 300W heater then? where in Pretoria can I get one at a decent price? How long will it take to get the water at temp (130 litre tank). Also, can I add live rock while the temperature is down or should I wait until the temperature is perfect before adding?

8. FrancoisJou

Also, I've heard that I should remove the bio balls that cam with the tank, should I also take out the ceramic rings? Replace all of it with live rock rubble?

9. Tony

Tony

Francois, just check that the heater is submerged all the time. How big is the tank before deciding on a heater size?

Speak to Dorry in Centurion or Moolis (not sure where) AKA Pet Stop. They are both in the Pretoria area. Go for a Jager heater, I'm not a rep for them but the quality and reliability is top notch. They are expensive but will outlast any heater if looked after. Also remove those Bio Balls, they are not necessary. You can keep the ceramic rings which are usually uncluded providing you rinse them out every now and then in salt water to remove detritus that settles in them. Keep the rings in a mesh bag

10. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Yes, just make sure the heater is fully submerged first. A lot of heaters have the sensor/thermostat at the top so it picks up air temp. And remember to turn it down when you fully submerge it :biggrin: And live rock rubble in the back is better than bio balls and ceramic rings. even with rinsing them, the ceramic rings build up organic waist and spike ammonia and nitrate eventually. They are good in the beginning but then start causing problems.

11. FrancoisJou

I had a look, the heater has a line on it that says: "minimum water level."

Due to the water level in my compartments I cannot get it above that level with the clip on attachment provided.

If I put it in the main tank though it can be submerged past that level.

See the third and fourth compartments of tank have lower water levels than first and second compartments (which are at same level as tank).

This is because the skimmer compartment (second one) has a lower overflow.

So maybe I should just get a longer clip to hang the heater on in the fourth compartment because I dont want it hanging around in the tank itself.

12. FrancoisJou

just by moving the heater tank has gone up 1.7c as we speak...

13. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Ill move the heater into the nd chamber from right. Leaving it in the last chamber is not the best as the water level there can vary. With water changes youll have to switch it off. Take out the bio balls and the ceramic rings. They gonna caause you problems. Rather replace them with some other filtration medias. A phosphate remover and maybe some purigen or something similar. Ive got filter floss which I replace every 2nd day in chamber one,chamber 2 - skimmer and heater,chamber 3 ive got purigen and phosguard and a good grade activated carbon{gonna take out carbon and only use it when I have to} and in the last chamber from left Ive got my return pump. I took out my uv light and connected the return pump straight to the outlet pipe{rainbar i think you call it}. It gave me some extra flow. the stock heater on the buyo is not that great and I replace it with a 150w better heater. my water never temp never drops. Also if you can,replace the skimmer. It would be the best thing you do. keep us updated with pics and pics and then some more pics.:):) goodluck

14. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Forgot to add,i dont use the clip. I just let my heater hang in the chamber. dont think you need it.

15. AndrévN

AndrévN

I have the same problem with the cold at the moment, im have two 300w Jagers on my tank switched on permanently and the tank is on 24.5C and drops to 23,5C by morning. Goes up to 26,4C during the day. So it is seriously cold for the water to get heated. Had the temp drop below 22C last week at around 12am hence me switching on the second heater.

16. boetie

boetie

i had the same problem use 2 heaters one in 1st and second in the 4 th compartment, problem solved

Last edited: 28 Jun 2011
  17. boetie

boetie

o yes best replace skimmer with a hang on skimmer

18. 2balive

2balive

You also get some heaters that are completely submersible, easier to use and they do not need a constant water-level. They also close to be the same price as the "minimum water level ones.

I once solved a heating problem by increasing the flow trough my filter. Think the big outside tank in the cold air cools down quicker than the heat that can be added by the amount of heated water that comes out of the filter.

You can however over do this , at one point the water will go to fast for the heaters to heat it up sufficiently and you would need a bigger Watt heater(s) at this point.

19. FrancoisJou

I got a 200Watt submersible heater. Temperature held up a bit better last night but still dropped to 23.5. Is this fluctuations fine or should I let both heaters run at night to try and keep temperature constant?

Also, I have filled the 3rd compartment with some live rock, heard that works well as filter in there. I will change the stock filter media in chamber 1.

Have seen some guys that actually got the stock skimmer working very well with some tweaking, so have been trying. Isn't there any decent skimmer that would fit into the back compartment? If so what and where can I get it? I work in Northriding.

Put some live rock in yesterday so will post picks soon. Already got copepods running around. Got a black feathered starfish as a hitchiker. It hides in a hole in the rock most of the time and comes out now and then. I'm afraid its gonna die because of the cycle that just started now, any advice?

Also got lots of tiny feather dusters on the rock as well. Awesome to see the tank come alive!

My Amonia levels are at around 25, my nitrite at 10 and my nitrate at 10.

20. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

i dont agree with the live rock in the boyu. detris settle in there(more than what the copepods/worms(whatever live there is) can sort out. as you dont have enough flow in the buyo chambers for it to work well. correct me if im wrong. when you put live rock in a sump,you normally add a small powerhead in the chamber with the lr to keep the water mving through them.even with filter floss in the 1st chamber you still gonna get some detritus sneak past and land up polluting your live rock. ill rather replace it with a good po4 remover. thats just my 2c

21. 2balive

2balive

Chech this thread Options for a internal nano skimmer? - Marine Aquariums of South Africa, I have listed the internal Nano skimmers that may fit.

Lots of debate around the use of it, but you can use Seachem Stability, it should keep your Amonia level way down (zero) and let more stuff survive.

Good luck.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2011
Recent Posts