Help with fox face please

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Tremayn, 11 Sep 2011.

1. Tremayn

Tremayn

Need some advice

I bought a nice fat fox face today. It was super active and happy in the guys tank. He put it in the bag for me and it went all off colour (thats normal I hear when they are stresses) and it was breathing heavy. I put the bag in a poly box then drove for 30min to home.

I pegged the bag in the sump and saw the fish was laying on its side and still off colour. I took out a small cup of water and put some in. I did this for 2hours every 30min. The fish was still laying on its side and breathing very heavy in the bag.

I put the fish in the tank and it slowly swam down and is now laying on its side at the back of the tank and still breathing heavy.

Is this because of too much stress? Is this normal with a fox face? I know they are a bit odd.. Is there anything I can do?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Sounds like normal foxface behavior

4. Cgoodburn

Cgoodburn

Foxface

Tremayn
    I have a Foxface, and i have stressed so much about this one fish. i have had the same problems, goes off colour looks like a rotten banana a lot of the time hides a lot, but eats really well. Sleeps against a rock or Zoa different place most nights. But seems fine. i have read that this is what they are like. I think they need an anxiolytic daily. So dont stress, nutty but great fish to have.
    Craig

5. Manic

Manic Moderator

Nothing you can do at this stage that won't stress it more. Fox faces are strange, I had one that one stress out even if I walked past the tank. They really are highly strung fish.

One thing I would do is revise your acclimitasation procedure. Rather don't take so long. Especially if the fish is from a fellow reefer as the salinity is most likely closely matched to your own and all you are doing by taking so
    long to add it to the tank is stressing it out.

6. lIghty

lIghty

Doesn't sound too good, if he is in the tank, turn the light off and perhaps the room lights too if they bright, as this my help him settle. Also maybe get a circ pump to break the surface to ensure maximum O2 levels in the tank.

It sounds like it could be a combination of stress and lack of O2, 2 hour in my option is too long to acclimatise a fish coming from good water, especially if he is breathing hard and only exchanging water every half hour, as it will exhaust O2 supplies quickly.

Next time rather use the drip method, as this continuously supplies O2 and it also helps with gas exchange, as the water dripping breaks the water surface.

crispin likes this.
  7. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Just checked up on him. Unfortunately he died. Just buried it now. :(

I was manually aerating the water every now and then. I dont think that it was a lack of O2 as it was in a big bag of water, and then I my tank has quite a lot of flow and the surface looks like a pot of boiling water

I always wanted a fox face :( ...

8. lIghty

lIghty

Sorry to hear Tremayn.

9. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Yeah man. I did not know that they stress so easily and it would have such a great affect on it :(

10. lIghty

lIghty

If you can, always transport your fish in a box that won't allow light in. this help to reduce stress.

11. Amoré

Amoré

Sorry to hear, they are lovely fish!

12. rakabos

rakabos

13. 2balive

2balive

Sorry for your loss, tuff when a fish dies.

14. Cgoodburn

Cgoodburn

Foxface

Sorry for your loss..

15. Yuri

Yuri

I personally think the fish was in a bad condition

Remember it most likely originally came from indonesia that is a long flight
    30min in a car is a lot shorter

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I did a lot of tank work yesterday. Fox face kept on being in the way, so I moved him to the container with the corals. Also caught and removed all the other fish.

Basically the same thing happened. By the time I had to put it back, it did not looked to good. Put it in a bag, pegged to the sump. Same water so only temperature is the problem, I had it in the bag for 30 minutes, adding cupful of water every 5. Eventually released it and it too just sank to the bottom. Eventually ended upside down and last night at 11 it died. All the other fish made it, even the coral beauty who is a finicky fish.

Mine was in good health. Had it for about year and a half. Nice big fellow, about 15cm.

So yes, they do overstress easily.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2011
  17. lIghty

lIghty

Unfortunately they do stress very easily.

18. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

It was in a poly box and the lid was closed. So it was very dim in it but not black

Thanks bud's

19. lIghty

lIghty

That should've been sufficient, must've just been too much stress then, pity.

20. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Thats also possible, but then it wasnt a visible problem

Sorry to hear that Riaan, these fish should not be rated as "easy" to keep. Anthias are easier

unfortunately I found that out the hard way

21. Achilles

Achilles

pegging bag to the sump is very stressful for this kind of fish, a foxface shows stress very easily, when they are not stressed they are very tough and durable fish and are actually more disease resistant due to their sliming off excess slime to rid themselves of parasites.

Should you ever purchase another,i would make sure one has a quarantine tank/ container of sufficient size for the fish keep it in the dark and drip the fish with an airstone in the bag (2 hrs for this is way too long should be no more than 30 minutes)then release and let it slowly get used to surroundings with sufficient hiding places , they are shy fish dont adapt well to being moved or stressed due to aggression or capture.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
Recent Posts